1st/2nd Round Herbicide combo

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Speaking to cool season guys.

Has anyone used Turflon Ester (tryclopyr) + 3 way amine as an option for 1st and 2nd rounds (roughly April through June)? Thoughts? Good broad spectrum control including some tough to kills like ground ivy, violets, etc)?

Any other combos you guys feel worth checking out for that time of the year?
I was also considering going back to Momentum FX2 dep on price.

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic

phillie

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey DA, I have used that combo with crop oil. It works good on the tough to kills. I haven't tried coolpower but was told it works well. The good thing about cool power is you can blanket spray and not use up one of the two 2,4-d blanket sprays. However, the combo mentioned first works well from personal experience and has a pretty broad spectrum. Just gotta be careful because ester volatizes and can cause off target applications.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Triclopyr ester is a very good product for hard to kill broadleaves. But it is really not something to be used on a windless, warm and humid day. Ester herbicides will volatilize, concentrate in one area, then damage surrounding plants. What about drift? The conditions under which I will apply ester based herbicides are 5-10 MPH winds, relatively low humidity and no gusts or shifts in wind direction. I use booms with drift reducing nozzles. Regular spray equipment drifts severely unless operated in weather conditions that I would not ever spray ester herbicides.

Cool Power works just as well, if not better than a 2,4-D based Three Way. Most weeds are actually less susceptible to MCPA than 2,4-D however having triclopyr ester and a substantial amount of dicamba in the mix makes up for it. I used to use quite a bit of Cool Power when my state had a virtual ban on 2,4-D based herbicides. I do know that it is probably better used on tall fescue and Kentucky Blue. Warm season grasses other than zoysia had difficulty tolerating it.

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
Cool power is formulated to work better is colder temps. I sprayed a few on fescue this past November at 1 oz per 1000 mixed with 80/20 surfactant. Noticed a little yellowing on some parts. Not sure if it was my mix or over application
Posted via Mobile Device

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
Cool Power looks great, but is their a cheaper alternative for early apps on Fescue? Also, as mentioned before it volatizes, does it say that on the label, or is that just your knowledge from doing it a while?

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Any takes then on Horsepower?