• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

1st (and only) Mower

awayneward

LawnSite Member
I'm just starting out in this business, with no prior experience.
I can only purchase one WB to start with. I am looking at a 54" JD. The only problem is that I am concerned with the width. I will not be able to get through many gates. Am I on the right track with my concern?

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
Well IMHO, it's pretty simple...you have 2 choices.

Choice #1 - buy a smaller mower

Choice #2 - don't take on accounts that have gated areas

coonman

LawnSite Senior Member
I would start with a good 21inch w/b and the 32inch w/b. The 21 will get you around all the small tight lawns and the 32 will help on some of your larger open area gated lawns. Since you are just starting I would stay with the smaller equipment until you can justify the big mowers.

OP
awayneward

awayneward

LawnSite Member
I am also looking at a 48" New exmark. Belt Drive 1 has a Kohler ($2700) engine, the other has a Kawasaki engine ($2900) Both have full factory warranty . With a push mower for the small areas would that be a good start. Or should I consider a used hydro?

timinkc

LawnSite Member
I'm from a suburban area, and what I have found is that I really need 3 mowers, a 21" (i prefer honda), a 36, and a rider...starting out though i had only the 36, and it got me thru.

Rook00

LawnSite Member
I've got a 52" snapper walk-behind and have not had any gate-issues. If you think you can get the amount of work you need without taking on any small "gated" yards, do it! They can be a pain. If you think you'll need all the lawns you can get, you might consider a smaller one.

Also consider buying the 54" and pushmowing inside the gates. . . if it is a small gate, it is probably a small area to mow inside of it.