1st lawn job...

cutyourgrass

LawnSite Member
I start my first official cutting Wednesday. It's not a large business but it can lead to many more if all goes well. The owner is very big on networking and has already given me information on business' he deals with. He is willing to let me advertise on his business and leave cards.

I have known him for 5 years and worked with him in my regular job as well as having him as a quality control inspector over the work I have completed.

So, wish me luck. The trailer is loaded, locked to the truck, and ready to go.

I'll let you know how it goes.

inzane

LawnSite Silver Member
good luck :clapping:

I start my first official cutting Wednesday. It's not a large business but it can lead to many more if all goes well. The owner is very big on networking and has already given me information on business' he deals with. He is willing to let me advertise on his business and leave cards.

I have known him for 5 years and worked with him in my regular job as well as having him as a quality control inspector over the work I have completed.

So, wish me luck. The trailer is loaded, locked to the truck, and ready to go.

I'll let you know how it goes.

OP
C

cutyourgrass

LawnSite Member
Okay, I went to my very first official job today. There are some things here that I know have been addressed, but let my "experience" be your lesson.

First, I forgot my tools for my equipment and the trimmer line snapped off inside of the spool. I was only 1/2 of the way through trimming.

Second, when I made the deal with my customer/friend I quoted a price based on what I remembered from visiting his shop. Turns out there are two strips with shrubs along each side of his business. I am not 100% sure if they are his or not. So, I clipped none of the hedges and left him/her a note.

I explained that I was not finished but I did cut the lawn and trim around a major portion of the area. I explained about the trimmer and that I was unable to remedy the problem. I let him/her know that I would need to have a face to face at the shop to verify exactly where the property line was and what they need done.

By the way. I address the customer here as him/her because the husband is the listed owner/customer and his wife is the manager/worker. So, I feel I should address them both.

The fee is acceptable for doing all of the above but I don't want to trim bushes that belong to another person.

I told them this visit was free and that I would come back and finish the job once I talked with them. Then, if they wish for me to continue I would began to charge them for the subsequent visits once we have everything on paper.

So, what did I learn a that I can teach today?

Well class. First, even if it is a friend don't go by memory for a property. Make sure where the boundaries are before starting. Second, have extra spool heads and/or line for your trimmers. Third have tools to remove spool when needed. Fourth, practice using your new equipment several times in real work before going to a paid job. And last but not least, even when you are doing work for a friend, realize you may feel incompetent at the very least. Look incompetent either way.

Lucky for me, I told him when he asked me to start cutting, that I was not actually 100% ready to start the business because I did not have all my equipment. He understood that and I think I will take this lesson to heart and NEVER set myself up for failure.