1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

1st sod bid/job and I'm nervous.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Steve5389, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, whatever pays the bills. I'm not dissin you by any means. I did a landscaping job that included an above ground pool install. Back yard was tight and privacy fenced. All hand/manual work. After digging 2"-4" to grade the 30' circle pool, before filling with sand and tamping, I vowed I'd never do it again, ever. We also have alot of clay/rock and it was thick/thriving fescue so it was like concrete. Made me feel like a lil b1tch that day. That job owned me for like 4 days after and I'm in pretty good shape @ 32yrs old.

2. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 30 this year, I used to think my wife was the hardest worker ever but she is only 31 and I can tell she is slowing down, I think I've got a few good years left.

hort101 likes this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I bet the Home Depot rental truck is cheaper
    I thought uhaul was home of the 29.99 pick up rental?
    You may be able to get a small trailer rental from hd as well

4. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

Make sure it is being watered at least 3 times a day, probably more since you are in Florida. That's what I would be nervous about. Finish all prep work, then get freshly cut sod & install all of it immediately, so it does not have a chance to dry out. If the weather people are predicting rain do not rely on that, water it anyway. Go back and check on it to make sure every area is getting water and the sprinklers are not malfunctioning.

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  5. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

Watering? You need to soak it. You are not just watering the sod; you need to pour on enough water to get the under-soil wet.

oqueoque and hort101 like this.
  6. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Florida

I was just thinking this. I don't know how it has been up in Jax, but we've been pretty dry and hot here. Is the property irrigated?

7. SCAPELIFE

SCAPELIFE LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

Solid Advice no reason to be nervous about a sod job Steve the hard work is the removal/prep get the sod cutter and truck also call the HD your going to make sure they have a cutter for rent not all of them have them in our area two pallets is a simple job take this first small sod job as a learning experience

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

HD rents trucks here for $19.95, but that is for the first 75 minutes only. UHaul is much less expensive.

9. DrumRiff

DrumRiff LawnSite Member

Most of the work involved in a sod job is the prep. Your sod supplier should be able to deliver directly to the site (or you can pick up pallets if you have a smaller area). Either way, I've had many great sod jobs all because of the prep I've had to do. Another important factor is taking care of the sod. Keep off of the turf for 21-28 days, and make sure it gets plenty of water. Good luck!

10. Steve5389

Steve5389 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Jacksonville, Fl

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. So here is what I ended up doing. I got the bid but I am subbing it out. I made $250 driving round trip 30 miles, took a few measurements, and then while at work the next day I made a few phone calls. Tomorrow while I am doing my regular mowing route the sod will be installed :)

sjessen, hort101 and Todd73 like this.