1st Year in Business, lmk what you think!

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
What up Fellas,

Ight so long story short, I work full time at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership and started TSP Lawn Care & Landscaping this year back in March 2020. I didn't have too much experience besides personal stuff and occasionally helping a friend out. It all started because my fiancé and I rented a house from my buddy and I bartered with him some money off the rent if I maintain the yard. I went out and bought a 36" Gravely WB, and just so happened my buddy who has had his business for 15 years now was capped at the number of customers he could take as a solo op. After having a few cold ones while chatting one night he ended up having about 5 customers call me. They were my first 5 and all weekly customers and the rest is history. I ended this year with about 26 accounts. Weekly and bi weekly and some landscaping jobs mixed in as well. Wish I could go full time as I have had to turn some bigger jobs away cause I am strapped on how much free time I have , even working on most Sundays. But losing benefits, PTO, paid sick time etc... is a tough pill to swallow. I could come pretty close to matching my salary cause I know the work is out there but well see. This was my first year doing fall clean ups and I just wanted to get some honest feedback from you guys and gals on how I am doing. Just got my new Wright Stander X in Aug so take it easy on my stripes, Im still getting use to the controls...hehe

20201125_214947 (1).jpg

20201125_215100.jpg
20201125_215210.jpg
20201125_215241.jpg
20201125_215303.jpg

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
This fall and winter, try to find someone in a position to do some of those jobs you had to turn down and sub it out to them. You handle the customer, and get your sub to give you their best price considering they didn't have any customer acquisition costs. You add your percentage to the top and bill the customer. You pay your sub. I made out pretty decent in a few jobs I couldn't do as a solo this year. Not mind blowing amount, but I added about 4 thousand in additional revenue, and made about 1500-2000 in gross profit for myself.

OP
TSP Lawn Care

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
thanks guys, And Young and Free thats a good option as well.

What up Fellas,

Ight so long story short, I work full time at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership and started TSP Lawn Care & Landscaping this year back in March 2020. I didn't have too much experience besides personal stuff and occasionally helping a friend out. It all started because my fiancé and I rented a house from my buddy and I bartered with him some money off the rent if I maintain the yard. I went out and bought a 36" Gravely WB, and just so happened my buddy who has had his business for 15 years now was capped at the number of customers he could take as a solo op. After having a few cold ones while chatting one night he ended up having about 5 customers call me. They were my first 5 and all weekly customers and the rest is history. I ended this year with about 26 accounts. Weekly and bi weekly and some landscaping jobs mixed in as well. Wish I could go full time as I have had to turn some bigger jobs away cause I am strapped on how much free time I have , even working on most Sundays. But losing benefits, PTO, paid sick time etc... is a tough pill to swallow. I could come pretty close to matching my salary cause I know the work is out there but well see. This was my first year doing fall clean ups and I just wanted to get some honest feedback from you guys and gals on how I am doing. Just got my new Wright Stander X in Aug so take it easy on my stripes, Im still getting use to the controls...hehe

View attachment 416428
View attachment 416429View attachment 416430View attachment 416431View attachment 416432
better than my stripes. good on you though man. how do you like it? im starting next year.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Looks like you're off to a good start. You can call yourself a pro. Good job!

I run my stripes the same direction on the whole lawn and make them match up across areas that don't get mowed. It looks like you mow different directions on different parts of the yard? I usually alternate 3 stripe directions - it always seems like one direction just doesn't work due to slopes and layout.

OP
TSP Lawn Care

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
better than my stripes. good on you though man. how do you like it? im starting next year.

I love it man I really do. I work from 7:30am to 5pm Mon-Thursday and 8am-4pm on Saturdays at the dealership. Even after those days I cant wait to get home pack my trailer up and head to do a few properties. And Friday being my main mowing day it always puts a smile on my face. Idk what it is but just being outside makes me happy!

Looks like you're off to a good start. You can call yourself a pro. Good job!

I run my stripes the same direction on the whole lawn and make them match up across areas that don't get mowed. It looks like you mow different directions on different parts of the yard? I usually alternate 3 stripe directions - it always seems like one direction just doesn't work due to slopes and layout.

Yea that one yard is tough to match the stripes on just cause of how it is laid out. And it was pouring rain that day im surprised it even striped. But im definitely starting to pay more attention and use a plan now rather than just going to mow. Ideally I want my customers yard to look the best in the neighborhood so every neighbor gets jealous gives me a call as well!

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
I love it man I really do. I work from 7:30am to 5pm Mon-Thursday and 8am-4pm on Saturdays at the dealership. Even after those days I cant wait to get home pack my trailer up and head to do a few properties. And Friday being my main mowing day it always puts a smile on my face. Idk what it is but just being outside makes me happy!

Yea that one yard is tough to match the stripes on just cause of how it is laid out. And it was pouring rain that day im surprised it even striped. But im definitely starting to pay more attention and use a plan now rather than just going to mow. Ideally I want my customers yard to look the best in the neighborhood so every neighbor gets jealous gives me a call as well!
I base my stripes on the view from the road too. I like the one heading straight at the front door and a 45 to that.

Contrary to how many guys cut at 90 degrees on a quick second cut, I go the same direction to "burn" the stripes in better. Front yard almost ways gets a double cut. The nice thing about going the same direction is you don't have to mow the whole lawn again. You can just hit the heavier windrows and the most visible areas. Just hit 5 or 6 of the high profile stripes.

Top Forums