1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 4 D OVERSPRAY ON ST. AGUSTINE

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Andy Kallinger, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Andy Kallinger

Andy Kallinger LawnSite Member

Hello-
    I was looking for some information concerning a little error I made in mixing a little too much 2 4 D Anmie weed killer over the amount required, and then sprayed it on my St. Augustine lawn.

I am not a professional lawn guy, and I think I may have made the problem worse by spreading Bayer 3 Weed and Feed for Southern Lawns, I live in the Houston Texas area.

My lawn has turned somewhat yellow, and I'm now watering it with the hopes it will come back.

Does anyone know if the St.Augustine will come back, or am pretty much up the creek?

2. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's been over 48 hrs since the application. Water may be your only friend. Activated charcoal is not often effective after 48 hrs.

The extra water will create possible weed invasion but you have to live with that potiential to minimize the other potiential.

Even the proper herbicides can cause damage from over-application. The labeled rates are designed to damage the target only
    but you can easily damage the none target with too much of the "right" herbicide.

Your bag of granulars was ok. But was it over-applied? Don't know. The bag says 12.5 thousand sq/ft.

You should never use a granular herbicide & a liquid herbicide at full strength simultaneously. You'll risk damage 100%.

Only time will tell how much turf will not recover. Probably after 3 weeks you will know. In the mean time water improperly & adding a bag of Milorginite can help provide necessary elements to boost recovery.

3. Andy Kallinger

Andy Kallinger LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information