1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by chuckers, Jun 3, 2005.

  1. chuckers

    chuckers LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 657

    Best place to buy it??? Also cheepest? I need 100 gallon.
  2. ArizPestWeed

    ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,457

    Gooosh I hope you are licensed cause if not , you will be attacked by those who are .
    I get mine at Helena Chem Co.
  3. MOW ED

    MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,028

    Even if you are not licensed you can find it in homeowner concentrations at you local stores. 2-4-d is used in many products and is the most studied herbicide on the market.
    Try you local farmers co-op for larger amounts.
  4. tjgray

    tjgray LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 294

    But make sure your licensed please if you are going to apply it to anything other than your own lawn :)
  5. MOW ED

    MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,028

    100 gallons of concentrate, now that I think of it HOLY COW what are you going to spray? The whole state of IOWA?

    Do a little checking, Trimec has 2-4 d in it as well as many other formulations but it is not something to mess with if you are not sure and as the others above said about the license.
  6. chuckers

    chuckers LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 657

    Doing alot of trails for horse owners. I would try the local elevators but they are upset because I took that job they wanted it. Yes, I am certified in every aspect including turf ag and ornamental.
  7. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,858

    Farm supply stores (TSC, Orchelens, and the like) usually stock straight 2-4 D. Generally it's labled for pastures and fields. Price is less than going with a Trimec/3-way product and you will get good results. 100 gallons may be a bit hard to come by though, unless maybe you could get one of those stores to order it for you. Otherwise a chemical supplier like Helena, Van-Deist (sp?) and others.
  8. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    I don't understand the 100 gallon thing. It depends on the concentrate, product, and what needs to be accomplished. Are these horse trails grassy trails, or are they wanting to eliminate all vegetation (like woodchips), or what?
  9. chuckers

    chuckers LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 657

    Its 84 miles of horse trails that are 22 ft wide and they have a few other places to do. Also it is to remove poison ivy etc. Because horses get it just like humans. another words they want all vegetation killed
  10. Dallas Turf

    Dallas Turf LawnSite Member
    Messages: 245

    The best bang for the buck would be going to the nearest co-op or chemical supplier. It looks like you have around 200 acres to spray. If you use 2,4-d LV-6 you can apply 1-4 pints per acre and get pretty reasionable control of most broad leaf weeds and poison ivy. Two pints per acre would probably do a pretty good job. You might want to try mixing in some Ally ( ag only) for a wider spectrum of weed control at 2/10 oz per acre.

Share This Page