2.5 jug storage

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
What do you use to store and transport 2.5 gallon chemical jugs? Need to keep them from tipping and like containment in case of spill.

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
In my trailer I built shelves in the front with dividers and lined them with plastic. When I need to put one that's been opened in my truck bed I secure it to a side with a bungie.

OP
Z

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Apparently they're called F style jugs. Surprisingly I can't find purpose built carrier/containment for them.

I'm thinking the state requires secondary containment for these, haven't looked it up yet. I use a plastic tub at home but that doesn't hold them very tight on the road.

GrassManKzoo

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a 3’ locking diamond plate box that came off the under side of a dump truck. It’s mounted vertically in my enclosed trailer with 2 shelfs inside. The outside has a utility van hand cleaning station mounted to it.

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
Apparently they're called F style jugs. Surprisingly I can't find purpose built carrier/containment for them.

I'm thinking the state requires secondary containment for these, haven't looked it up yet. I use a plastic tub at home but that doesn't hold them very tight on the road.
For my trailer shelves I attached a 2x6 on the front to give them some depth before I sheeted over them so if they leak it'll stay on the shelf.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I always put a chain and padlock though the handle. Chain was secured through the front pole socket or to a screw-eye attached to the bottom of the socket. See avatar. Tank was big so there was no chance of the jug tipping over--tight fit in the front corners of the bed. Rain--no problem. Label might get wet.
However there was no secondary containment Except for the bed. I did not have a bed liner, most of the time. I supposed one could sit the jug in a 5 gal bucket to serve as emergency leak containment.
Of course--my gas can would not usually fit in the front corners of the bed. One evening my gas can and 2 gallons of fuel disappeared. Good lesson--chained it down--after that.
Before I bought the white truck, smaller jugs sat locked in a plastic storage bin in the back seat of my cab and-a-half truck. I found very shallow (2-inch deep) plastic baskets that, just fit under the front seats. I Used them for storage of tools and sometimes for very small bottles: like dry Roundup, Sedgehammer, and Drive.
This is not legal in some states due to the risk of chemical fumes inside the cab. The risk is a lot higher if a jug splits or spills within such a confined space, particularly if driving. I remember a university pickup, very old--about a 1958 Chevy. No one wanted to drive it to the experimental orchard--because--in years past, someone had spilled a bottle of Malathion on the front seat--cloth front seat. Odor was strong. Yuck!

OP
Z

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thanks! I'm going to have to probably go with something like that.