2 acre RV park - What mower to buy?

MowinginEureka

LawnSite Member
I currently have been mowing this 2 acre rv park every month with a 42 in walker. I just shoot the grass out the back when I'm out in the open and around the cars and rv's, I collect it and dump it. I mow it at 4 inches high to avoid hitting rocks and scalping bumps/ruts. I'm getting tired of beating up my walker mower, every month its another repair, I can only mow about 1/2 acre an hour, I have to go quite slow, because of all of the bumps and ruts in it, around the cars it takes even longer, total is about 4-6 hours to mow, another 1-2 hours to string around all of the cars. So, Im charging about 250-350 a mow for this place. In the summer, with it being completely dry, it takes at the minimum 3.5 hrs to mow and an hour to string. It takes a good 8 hours to use one of my walk behinds on it in the summer. Anyhow, what should I get for this? Should I just suck it up and use my walker? I can't really afford the downtime in the spring/summer, as it's my only ZTR. I don't use my walker in the winter, mowers too heavy, ground/grass is too wet, leaves marks and tracks. Any advice is helpful. Thanks

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
I'd agree, maybe even a Toro belt drive with a velke because Ztr or not you
won't be able to go much faster due to the ruts, if they're as bad as you say...

I'm also unclear on what you're referring to as a walk-behind, from the sound of
things it's either a 21" or a Wb with an awful small deck, that 42" is a bit narrow as well.

A 48" deck on a commercial mower would cut your time down a little, the
biggest difference I think you'll notice will be in the down time department,
commercial mowers are generally also less of a headache to work with.

OP
M

MowinginEureka

LawnSite Member
I have mowed it with my walk behind 21 inch honda mower, that takes 8 hours. With my 42' riding walker mower, it takes about 4-6 hours. I'm a little confused though, you say a commercial mower is better. All of my equipment is commercial. A larger deck would be a bit helpful, but the larger the deck, the less room I have to get in between the vehicles. Most of the vehicles are parked so close together, my 42 inch deck just barely fits. A sulkie maybe, nobody uses those here. I mean nobody, no dealers for them.

OP
M

MowinginEureka

LawnSite Member
to the top

Top Forums