Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to buy a mower thurs p.m. Im in a hurry to find out what are the major ups or downs of these two brands. The mower will be a 36 inch w/b belt drive. These are the only close dealers to me and i am buying one of these brands only. Yes i know there are a bunch of others to choose from but dealer location is important to me and these two are the nearest ones to me. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks.

· Registered
2,389 Posts
Scag. I can't stand Toro T-bar stuff. A scag's frame & deck will outlast the motor. :cool:

· Registered
104 Posts
Originally posted by Whatdefunk
hey nice pics.......is the w/b user friendly?
yeah pretty simple. Not as bad as some would say being a belt drive. Run fine with a 12.5 kaw. that was on it, even running a mulch plug. The kawasaki let a valve seat loose, so I trashed it and set the 18hp kohler on it for a very reasonable price. The pistol grips will be a little rough for a while, IF you have not run WB with them before. If you do a lot of larger open properties, I would get a sulky. I've got a one wheel velkey sulky on it, it does leave a third line though. Velkey and several others make 2 wheel sulkys. As others will say; Demo and go with the better dealer support.

Good Luck

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
actually this dealer im going to sells both! there is another scag dealer close to me so im kinda leanin toward the scag. The dealer has these priced pretty close to the same, he says the scag gives a better cut, but the toro is a dream to drive......any truth to this?

· Registered
11,352 Posts
Originally posted by Whatdefunk
actually this dealer im going to sells both! there is another scag dealer close to me so im kinda leanin toward the scag. The dealer has these priced pretty close to the same, he says the scag gives a better cut, but the toro is a dream to drive......any truth to this?
I got 3 Toros...but they are 325D Groundmasters. And yes they are sweet...4WD, 25 hp diesel, power steering, power brakes, and ride like my caddy.

· Registered
627 Posts
I started with a 36" Scag belt drive fixed deck. I still use it , mostly as a backup. It cuts good. I think it's very user friendly. It has the12.5 hp. Kawasaki. I would buy another one. To be fair, I never used a Toro. Hope this helps. Matt

· Registered
378 Posts
I've demoed both Scag and Toro in WBs and Zs. In each case the Toro on the same site gave a better quality of cut than the Scagg. IMO Toro has the corner on quality of cut with their deck design. Ask me what I run? I run Scaggs(32, 36, 48 belt drive wb) for several reasons. The two main reasons are (1) my crew runs the Scaggs and I wanted a stout machine and (2) simplicity in repairs. The belt drive is very straight forward to repair when the occassional problem arises. I think Scagg has only two engineered failures on their machine. The wiring harness is pitifully undersized in wire gauge and secondly the pigtail on the electronic clutch will sometimes break where it enters the housing leaving you with a perfectly good clutch that can't be energized.

· Registered
551 Posts
I've got a Toro Hydro 36" and I'm very pleased with the quality of cut and ease of use. The T-Bar steering works well and was one of the deciding factors for me. Seems like a lot of people use the pistol grips, but I don't care for them. When I purchase a new walk behind I will look into Hustler's H-Bar or other alternative control systems. Unless I like them better, I'll get another Toro.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.