2 cycle engine swap/interchangeability??

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by A914Man2, Aug 2, 2017.

1. A914Man2

A914Man2 LawnSite Member

We have a John Deere 2 cycle pole saw/hedge trimmer (Model PS2683) that's been a very handy tool for us. Not a high end pro-line machine, but since it only gets 20-30 hrs a year it's worked out well.

Careless teen worker (you probably know where this is going) filled it with straight gas and overheated (probably ruined) engine.

Since this is a JD brand repair parts are outrageous, $250 for a cyl, and piston kits! The machine isn't worth that much, but there are some jobs that it's really worth having.

I pulled the manual, and the engine was warranteed by Mitsubishi, so I'm pretty sure it's a Mitsubishi TU26 engine.

I've never had to work on my own machines beyond regular service and maintenance, but I restore cars too, so I know how to wrench.

In shopping for a replacement engine, I've found:
    1. It doesn't look like there's anyone in the US selling this kind of engine
    2. There's a chinese knock off of the TU26, but there are a couple 43cc Mitsu engines that are available (out of US sellers),
    3. Even after paying freight from China, a whole new (questionable brand) engine is still way less than trying to get replacement parts.

Can anyone tell me what kind of interchangeability is there with these engines?
    Thanks in advance!

2. A914Man2

A914Man2 LawnSite Member

3. A914Man2

A914Man2 LawnSite Member

Anyone?? Bueller???

hort101 likes this.
  4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

JD is famous for taking popular models of engines and changing minor things like shaft size, electrics or mounting to make them proprietary. I doubt this case would be any different. If all it got was some straight gas a slug and jug are the best way to guarantee you're aren't throwing money at China for a non returnable part that may not fit. It certainly won't be the same quality.

5. A914Man2

A914Man2 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Patriot. It was ran for about 20 mins, over heated and shut off. It will turn over but it's stiff.

It looks just like a TU26. I'd like to know if there's anyone here stateside that has a "slug and jug", besides the robber baron JD. If I tear it down, I'll probably try and replace the crank roller bearing too.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

hort101 likes this.
  7. A914Man2

A914Man2 LawnSite Member

I found that too, which is what let me to the whole engine. My guess is they are from the same mfr. $116 to the door