• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

2 cycle oil

Mattmowsgrass

LawnSite Senior Member
Anyone notice any real benefit between the brands. Or different oils within the same brands?Example Stihl vs Echo, or Stihl silver bottle vs Orange Bottle. What do you use? I switched from husqvarna to Stihl premium and non ethanol gas back in may. When I bought new equipment.

Last edited:

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes the red armor cleared my fuel system up a little bit first tank
Red armor and sabre are my 2 favorite and both have a fuel stabilizer in them too

Biggest thing for me is use mix up in a week or 2 and most fuel problems have gone away

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
You won't find a modern 2 cycle that doesn't have stabilizer in it. Any of them are good. I've run opti, stihl, saber, echo, husqvarna, lucas, and so on. I've yet to have any issue, ever with any of these. Pick your preferred oil odor and go with it.

You have at least a month before you're going to see any problems with E10 being in your fuel. Realistically you have 3 months, but 1 month is safe to have it used by. Since you're running non ethanol you don't have to worry much about storing it unless it's going long term.

fowvay

LawnSite Member
Just for accuracy, the Stihl HP Ultra does not contain any stabilizers. Stihl removed fuel stabilizers from their HP Ultra at the end of 2017. The Stihl HP Ultra is a vegetable based, palm kernel oil derived ester with very little additive. It does have phenol (butenylated, aminated) as a detergent along with a more common detergent/dispersant package. HP Ultra is ashless so it contains no metallic ash, has a rather high flash point, a low kinematic viscosity and no solvents for dilution or miscibility.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Just for accuracy, the Stihl HP Ultra does not contain any stabilizers. Stihl removed fuel stabilizers from their HP Ultra at the end of 2017. The Stihl HP Ultra is a vegetable based, palm kernel oil derived ester with very little additive. It does have phenol (butenylated, aminated) as a detergent along with a more common detergent/dispersant package. HP Ultra is ashless so it contains no metallic ash, has a rather high flash point, a low kinematic viscosity and no solvents for dilution or miscibility.
I dont think the plain echo does either?

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
Stihl HP ultra absolutely has stabilizers as mentioned directly on the bottle.

I am not sure where either of you have gathered your info but i's false.

plain echo powerblend also has stablizers.

Just like i said before, and to maintain accuracy, nearly all of the modern 2 cycle oils have the stabilizers.

JohnD2

LawnSite Member
I run Saber at 60:1. Yes there is a difference. Stihl ultra doesn't burn as clean as some think , I've seen evidence of clogged exhaust ports. There's a 800+ page thread on a chainsaw forum testing different 2 stroke oils. Schaeffer , Saber and Red Armor all did excellent in their high performance chainsaws. They had the tear down pics to prove it.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
I dont think the plain echo does either?
So I looked it up on echos site

Power blend stabil for up to 30days

Red armor up to 2 years so the red armor is better stabilizer which is what I remembered from the package

Here is a link

fowvay

LawnSite Member
Rippinryno, if you have a bottle that states that it contains fuel stabilizer then please check the batch number and production date. You will find that it was produced in 2017 or prior. Here is a package produced in 2019 at the Shreveport facility and you will notice the stabilizer statement is absent. I apologize for the blurriness of the date photograph" *** This post provided me with a nice avatar :)

Attachments

Last edited: