2 employees in a truck thoughts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grassmonkey0311, Oct 11, 2018.

1. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

To expand on this it’s not just “efficiency” and windshield time that drop your per man hour....but also that the price of each individual lawn - stays the same wether you add 1 or 2 guys. So a $60hr solo lawn w 5 minutes travel solo = $55hr w 2 guys = $51hr w 3 guys. And then even if you have the best workers in the world -there’s no way you won’t loose atleast 2 minutes of efficiency on each lawn w multiple guys vs 1. So shave another $1 per man hour off. And that’s IF your workers are as fast as the owner who priced the lawn (yea right) . So your $60hr route is now coming in at $45-48 per man hour. And without fact checking who knows - but ya might even loose more $ per hour on gas mileage w an extra few hundred lbs riding in the cab (+2 extra mowers)

2. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

Classic Ted.

3. grassmonkey0311

Good input. I was looking at it from a different angle. This would be 1 employee mowing and the other trimming.

If a 1 man route is doing 18 lawns a day with a route revenue of $650, a 2 man crew should be about a 50% increase in productivity. They should be able to do 25-27 lawns with a route revenue of about $900.

4. grassmonkey0311

Have you ever had guys not getting along with eachother, or one is slacking off when it came to his job duties?

What about broken equipment? Do they play the 'blame game'?

5. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Platinum Member

They each have their own set-up and the other guy doesn't mess with others equipment. So I've never had any blaming trouble. The only issues I really had with them is one guy would always start mowing out into the other guys world messing lines up.

Up until this yr I was always in the truck with them. 3man crew, so with me right there things stayed under control.

Couple yrs ago I experimented with myself and 1 worker in truck. My niece would be in a little ranger she was the trimming crew. We all started on same property, as soon as she had everything trimmed she left and headed to the next, then the next and so on. It worked really good. We showed up jumped on mowers and got busy. After 1st property we usually never saw her the rest of the day.
    She would be done and home by 2:00.
    She was also the best trimmer I ever had. Never missed anything.
    Then she ended up moving a couple hrs away. That was a nice setup.

JMK26 and hort101 like this.
  6. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Platinum Member

Each property we divide in half, each person is responsible for their own world "as we call it" that way any problems any damage any sloppiness we know who's done it.
    They actually start competing against each other to prove who does a better job. Self-policing kinda.
    On new property the division line needs to be adjusted until they both finish up at the same time by the 3rd mowing its equal. If they have any squabbles I've really not heard about it.

MNLawns likes this.
  7. grassmonkey0311

Thanks, much appreciated. I run mine along the same lines- all equipment has numbers on them, so Truck 1 has only the equipment with a "1" on it. Everything from the truck all the way down to the gas cans and spare trimmers/blowers.

Great info, certainly gives me something to think about.

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  8. GRANTSKI

Yea that’s where numbers get really fuzzy . 1 guy mowing + one trimming = way less efficiency but no extra equipment or gas cost.

grassmonkey0311 likes this.
  9. grassmonkey0311

This was exactly my thoughts.

We all know certain seasons there isn't much trimming, so would the helper really be a benefit? Probably not. But during spring/fall the 2nd man is a great asset to the guy mowing. I can always pull the helpers and have them work on clean ups, etc.

Do you add a second guy in the truck, with much less expenses, or keep the routes solo and buy another truck, equipment, and hire another guy?

I'm thinking my turnover rate with employees may have something to do with it being solo routes...

10. GRANTSKI

Yeah it gets old / monotonous and tougher on the body mowing / blowing / trimming every single lawn. I like the idea of w 2-3 guys rotating guys to work together and even rotating their routes. Paid lunch for solo guys would be a nice incentive id think. Also an end of yr bonus. Paid an extra $1 for every hour they work only if they stay till end of season.