1. Countdown to live Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 man crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by philmacrakken, Feb 12, 2007.

1. philmacrakken

philmacrakken LawnSite Member

I've operated for a few years solo but this year I'm gonna hire at least one more guy. My question is about time saved doing a lawn with 2 guys vs. 1 guy. I suppose in theory if you arrange it so both guys are working the entire time ( 1 guy mowing, the other trimming then grabbing a walk behind to help finish) I should be able to cut the time it takes to do any given lawn in half. Is this accurate? If not, how much time can you save with a second guy?

2. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

This may sound crazy, but a good helper will more than cut your time in half.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Good production out of 2. Three well cordinated guys are the fastest. Four could be good on big jobs but often is not as good as 2 or 3 in terms of production per $.

Use 4 guys when you get ready to train and split into two iof two.

4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Is your equipment as efficient as possible? Do you have a stander or a zero-turn rider? Make sure your equipment is productive first. Moving to a stander or a ride on from a walk-behind will earn you more time than an employee. It will also cost you less. Just my opinion.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Absolutely, that is why we buy good equipment.

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree 100%

7. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I second that. the acounts i had took me 5 days to do by myself. I hired an experienced operator and the same acounts took two and a half days to do. I was shocked,therefore allowing me to take on alot more work.

8. lwp

lwp LawnSite Member

I know this is going to sound crazy to everyone but I a new at this. What is a stander and zero-turn rider? I am a female learning the business with 5 residential customers right now and just bidded on a commerical account. It started out a just doing something for my boyfriend but I see it could be so much more. I sent hours yesterday learning some stuff about the business. Also what is your take on uniforms...shirts, pants?

9. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

well a stander is a mower that is like a walk behind but you stand on it. and zero turns are http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72949&stc=1&d=1171300527

ztr.jpg

10. lwp

lwp LawnSite Member

Thank you lawn guy1350 for that information. I am glad I found this site and there are people like you who do not mind telling beginners like me this wonderful information.