1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

2" or 2.5" hitch?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by turboawd, Dec 27, 2006.

1. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

i need to put a hitch on my new van, it's a diesel:cool2: . i could go with a 2" 10,000 lbs, or 2.5" 12,000 lbs hitch.
    obviously the 2.5" is a little more odd. is it easy to find accessories for the 2.5"?
    do they make reducers, incase i need to use a 2" accessory? or should i just get a 2" hitch?

i'll be pulling a big skid loader.

2. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

it all depends on what your van is rated for. If your not allowed to tow more than 10,000lbs. you dont really NEED a 12,000lbs. hitch. Yes you can buy reducers for the 2.5". But it all depends on what you want, and need

3. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

Never heard of a 2.5" hitch, do you mean 2 5/16"

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you mean a 2" reciever?...all of our trucks...F250, F350 dump, F550 all have 2" recievers and pull 12k just fine....i think you'll be ok with a 2" reciever

5. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

I think the new fordsa have an otion for a 2.5" receiver if the vehicle is rated to tow 12K, but I had to look real hard on the internet to find an adapter. Find a 2" reciever that is rated for more than you will be towing, as if you lose that adapter while unloading late one nite, you'll be a very bitter guy come morning.

6. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i have a 2.5". as far as reducers, Reese markets one. should be easy enough to get. the shop that installed mine keeps them in stock. also saw them at lowes. i believe they are getting more common.
    good luck

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Both of my trailers require a 2 5/16" hitch. When I rent a smaller trailer for various rentals I use I use a 2" ball because it is what the smaller trailer requires............conclusion, I own 2 hitches and use whichever I need at the time.

8. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

i am referring to the size of the receiver on the hitch. the size of the square opening, not the ball.

here is an example of a 2.5" receiver hitch.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8054711051

if i can get a decent reducer, i'll probably go with the bigger 2.5" receiver hitch.

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

just curious but what will you be towing with a van that you need a big hitch for?

10. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

a big skidloader, it might weight a little over 10,000 lbs with trailer.
    the van is rated to tow 10,000 lbs.