2 stroke engines, the little things slow you down. . .

GreenLawn51

LawnSite Member
Hey guys,

Hope you've all been working your tail off this season. I just wanted to share a tip that I wish someone told me that I definitely overlooked.

All of my handheld units are two stroke- handheld blowers, backpack blowers, trimmers, edgers, chainsaw, hedge trimmers etc.

I bought a new trimmer this season that was a residential unit. I needed one on the fly to keep the properties going, no down time etc, light, caused by a Saturday breakdown.

One morning we couldn't get it running. Thought it was flooded, pulled the plug boot to pull the plug and ripped it off the coil. Didn't have time to troubleshoot and dropped it off at the dealer.

Dealer tells me that it will take two weeks to get a new coil. I say no biggie as we're slammed with work and have backups. Dealer calls to tell me the engine is blown and that one of my guys put straight gas in engine and ran it. After about five beers into tearing into this thing I'm thinking: compression, spark, fuel and air.

The exhaust screen is air. Just air exhaust. I pull the sceen and can't see through it. Burned off the carbon, installed the screen. First pull it starts with full power.

Been running 50:1 ratio and have tried a lot of different oils. Ethanol free fuel and mix in some sea foam on occasion. Can't really run the trimmers full throttle often as much of our properties are weekly fine trimming around beds/hardscape etc.

Would love any input on your favorite oils to reduce oil sludge blocking the screens. We can't really remove the screens as we're in the west and can't risk any sparks.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Gold Member
It's not an oil issue, it's a power or lack of power (torque) The lower CC engines (under 30cc) struggle when you run to much string, I know every body does it, but that is the biggest reason you have build up. The larger CC engines can handle the longer string better. Go bigger CC, cut the string down or run the trimmer at WOT more......

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
I run Red armor or amsoil sabre 50 to1

Give the throttle a couple wide open rips during each yard and idle for a few before shutting off

44DCNF

LawnSite Platinum Member
Amsoil Sabre Pro. Still using the same plugs in all my redmax units as came in them in 2003. Five years on a route and 17 on 1/2 acre. Never have to clean screens at 100:1.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey guys,

Hope you've all been working your tail off this season. I just wanted to share a tip that I wish someone told me that I definitely overlooked.

All of my handheld units are two stroke- handheld blowers, backpack blowers, trimmers, edgers, chainsaw, hedge trimmers etc.

I bought a new trimmer this season that was a residential unit. I needed one on the fly to keep the properties going, no down time etc, light, caused by a Saturday breakdown.

One morning we couldn't get it running. Thought it was flooded, pulled the plug boot to pull the plug and ripped it off the coil. Didn't have time to troubleshoot and dropped it off at the dealer.

Dealer tells me that it will take two weeks to get a new coil. I say no biggie as we're slammed with work and have backups. Dealer calls to tell me the engine is blown and that one of my guys put straight gas in engine and ran it. After about five beers into tearing into this thing I'm thinking: compression, spark, fuel and air.

The exhaust screen is air. Just air exhaust. I pull the sceen and can't see through it. Burned off the carbon, installed the screen. First pull it starts with full power.

Been running 50:1 ratio and have tried a lot of different oils. Ethanol free fuel and mix in some sea foam on occasion. Can't really run the trimmers full throttle often as much of our properties are weekly fine trimming around beds/hardscape etc.

Would love any input on your favorite oils to reduce oil sludge blocking the screens. We can't really remove the screens as we're in the west and can't risk any sparks.
Amsoil Sabre

I’ve had the same issue with stihl muffler speak arrestors

oh your guys put straight gas in it … yeah?

how do you know that?

what would have happened is your try to pull the string and it wouldn’t budge

so the dealer/tech just made something up, complete fantasy

did you pay them?
Are you going to get your money back?
I hope you go shove that in their face

I hate it when everyone blames things on the employees
They have enough issues, they don’t need to get blamed for everyone else’s incompetence

Top Forums