1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

2 Turf Tiger 2s or 2 Cheetah 2s?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cassidy Cuts, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Cassidy Cuts

Cassidy Cuts LawnSite Member
    from MD

I am going to buy either two Turf Tiger 2s or 2 Cheetahs but cannot decide. Here is the info for both:

2 Turf Tiger II $22,450
    2019 (last year leftover)
    37 Briggs EFI
    72 inch velocity plus
    Advantages over cheetah:
    -heavier duty
    -efi could be nice but we’ve never had a mower with one
    -only $650 more

2 Cheetah II $21,800
    31 hp Kawasaki
    72 inch velocity plus
    advantages over TT2:
    -can go 16 mph if needed. This is very useful to us because almost all of our mowing is within a mile. We usually park the truck in one spot during the day and ride to each lawn on the mowers.
    -lighter
    -Almost all of our mowers have had kawasakis and we have never had any major problems. We have no expwrience with briggs motors
    -one year newer

What do you guys think I should do? Maybe even one of each haha.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I greatly prefer the TT II, but for doing what you said and riding them from place to place, the Cheetah may save you some time.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

The cheetah was literally designed and marketed with the idea of quick transport between mowing areas (like industrial and sports complexes or campuses... or what you’re describing)

that being said
    I would buy turf tigers, they’re just that good - and they have been, literally, since their introduction.

Cam15 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Cassidy Cuts

from MD

What do you guys think about the 31 kawi vs the briggs 37 efi? And I’m a little concerned about the weight of the Turf Tiger (almost 1600 lbs). Is this too heavy? That being said, the Turf Tiger in this situation seems like a good deal since it’s only $325 more per machine and 6 more hp with efi.

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

The Vanguard will be better on fuel, and with machines that big and decks that wide, you'll save quite a bit over the course of a year. I don't think the weight is an issue unless you run the same patterns every week either out of necessity or simplicity etc, or your properties are soft/wet a lot. Even then, I doubt the additional weight over say 1300 lbs would make that much difference at that point.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Cassidy Cuts

from MD

We typically do a 3 pattern rotation on every lawn. Which one is more reliable, the 31 kawi or the 37 briggs?

Cam15 likes this.
  7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Both are about the same I think as far as lifespan and reliability these days. You can get a bad one in either flavor to be sure, but both seem pretty solid overall. I am a Kaw fan, but I am really leaning to that 37 when the time comes for a new mower for me.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Cassidy Cuts

from MD

Yea I’m also a kawi fan but I havent heard too many bad things about the briggs 37 efi, especially recently. I really can’t decide and am seriously considering getting one of each. So that way, on the next round of mowers, we’ll know for sure which one is best for our mowing situation. The only problem with that is buying maintenance products is a little more annoying since i will have 2 different machines with two different engines. From what I have heard, the Turf Tiger overall should be more durable. Is this an accurate assumption?

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

IDK. The TT is a tried and true machine, but the Cheetah has been out for a while now and you don't really hear much bad about it either. I just prefer the TT for fit and traction when I demo'd both of them along with a TC II all on the same day and property. If it were me, the TT would get the nod, but that is just my personal preference. I don't think you can go wrong with either one and the idea of one of each makes a lot of sense so that you can decide what fits your needs best. Why not look at a Cheetah with the 37 EFI on it as well?

Cam15 likes this.
  10. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

My .02:
    demo both for a week. Biggest engine avail on a demo. If isn’t your engine pref who cares, cause if a lesser engine performs then more engine will be better anyhow on your purchase. That’ll let you see if you utilize the transport high gear in the cheetah as much as you might think and get you a good gist of its time savings.

if it was me. Both TT’s with vanguard. I believe they go 12mph from memory. What’s 4 miles an hour anyhow.

Vanguard: Because i want one!

Cam15 and Ridin' Green like this.