Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the thread about double and triple cutting, started by willis, and I want to get something off my back, I am sick of a** holes that are rich and want their huge lawns cut every 2 weeks!, And it gets so long that it mats up and looks terrible no matter how much you go over it!, but they still want that perfect cut!!!?????

AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT GOES THROUGH THIS?:angry: :dizzy:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This one guys lawn takes me 4 1/2 hours total, and I only charge him 60 bucks!,

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got rid of a little old lady I had that needed her yard cut every week at a minimum, sometimes twice a week, but only wanted every two to three weeks. I finally told her either she needed a cut every week or I would have to go up on price to account for the extra time spent making the cut look good. The little old lady gave me the fixed income answer and asked about every ten days, I told her weekly. She told me she would call, haven't heard from her in three weeks and decided if she does call the cut will be three time her last rate. Kind of get tired of everyone else having money problems but the people who work for them are supposed to struggle instead. Sorry for complaining.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I'm dropped like 4 customers so that soul-reason. Why do I wanna do 2-3 times the work for the price of 1? Forget that, that's why I am self employeed, so I can call the shots, and not answer to anyone else but me:-D. Wow, that sounded self-fish, but seriously, they don't run my business, I do.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'll agree with the above posts. I only cut my yards with a monthly agreement. They pay me monthly and in advance and I come by once a week. It's easy!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with Galagers, everybody has a story. GOD forbid the lawn guy gets an increase. The customer I'm mowing must get a raise once in a while. They all have big fancey cars & homes ! They watch you from their A/C window every week right on schedule, but can't afford a $20/ month increase!
I think its B-S sorry just venting -Joe

·
Banned
776 Posts
I think that really, if you are having problems like these with your clients it is your own fault to a certain extent. You should be able to explain to them why it should be done like you suggest. If you can't come up with a good enough reason why your way is right then you are in the wrong business.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I raise the height of cut on those 2 and 3 weekers, so they can see for themselves that it needs it more often. When they ask me to lower it, I tell them that this the proper height for the health of the grass. I also tell them that is is common knowledge for most types of grass, that you should only take off no more than about one third of the total height. This works about 50 % of the time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm in the same boat as ya'll. I mowed today-yes Saturday- for this lady who calls me about every ten days. Takes me about 2.5 hours and I don't charge her what I should. Today I did not double cut any of it and she said it looked great. Go figure.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Originally posted by GreenMachine102
This one guys lawn takes me 4 1/2 hours total, and I only charge him 60 bucks!,
Either your joking, or honestly, I think you're nuts.. That's less than $15 a hour, gross. Minus off the wear and tear on your machine.. I heard that a $2100 32" Metro will last for 2000 hours, and many other machines have about a $1.00 per hour cost to operate. So that's $4.50. Add in the I guess 3 gallons of gas that you go thru in 4.5 hours, so that's another $4.50 (at $1.50 a gallon).

So now you "made" $60, less $4.50, less $4.50. So now we're down to $51 total. Minus off your other expenses like trimmer line, wear and tear on your truck, and now you're down to making like literally $10 an hour..

And I didn't even mention the cost of insurance or paying taxes OR putting any money away for when YOU are 65 years old and want to retire.........

I would quite honestly not cut that property again. Tell the guy that you run a business and you did a time-study analysis and that for $60 for 4.5 hours work before expenses just doesn't cut it and that you either need to get $160 for that cut, or you need to serve your 'better' customers and you're downsizing your route and there is no longer room for him in your schedule..

For that much money, you are seriously better off working for Best Buy, Compusa or a store like that. They give ya benefits, it's consistent work, and you may even get an employee discount on purchases....

Gary

·
Registered
650 Posts
I always love the "I'am on a fixed income ". galagers an any other of you guy guys , just rember we are too on a "fixed income "if we don't work we don't eat!" Tell them that the next time they give you that ..........an it works!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have learned to be right up front with people that I do WEEKLY mowing, and it even says this on my business cards. My only exceptions are ten rental properties that I have been doing for a guy for four years which are bi-weekly. $200 and takes me 3 to 3 1/2 hours. I'm making good money on them and they aren't fertilized so they usually don't grow very fast. I have a very good relationship with this customer, and everyone comes out happy. However, It's only because of this "package deal" that it works out so well.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If the folks complaining about doing all the 'extra" work because of customers requested ideas of service would either charge by the hour, or give them what they want, you'll solve most of your problems.

If what they WANT requires multiple passes, charge accordingly.
OR
Cut once, leave it looking like clump city, and ask if that's really what they want.

BTW- Just be sure it's their lack of knowledge of lawn care and what needs to be done, and not the inability of your mower to perform well.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I do not deal with those type of customers. If they say cut every two weeks, I say good-bye. I won't even explain to them why I won't mow every two weeks. If they're too cheap to have their property maintained properly, I don't need or want them as a customer.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
The premise that the others have been saying is. This is of your own doing.

It's up to you to correct the mistake that you created.

Charge more for every other week.
Inform that it will have to be done weekly at the agreed price
Or move on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.