2 zones popping on.

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by greenmonster304, Aug 12, 2019.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

i have this system we built a few years ago with I 90s. Each one has its own valve and is a zone. Lately when one zone is fired another will pop on for a few seconds to a minute. It happens randomly. It runs on a pump start with a submersible well. Runs at about 100 lbs. Any ideas?

2. benhargreaves

benhargreaves LawnSite Member

What is the supply GPM from the pump and what is the GPM of the zone(s)?

I have a lake pump system where zones will randomly pop on when the pump first kicks in. It's also a pump start. Sometimes is will be 1 or 2 zones and they stay on for less than a minute. My working theory is that the first zone to come on isn't using enough water and the other valves are literally being pushed open by the excess supply from the pump. Haven't gotten around to testing my theory or running the numbers though.

3. OP
    OP
    greenmonster304

That is pretty much the same theory I have. Each head uses about 60 gpm I believe and the pump makes 85-90

4. OP
    OP
    greenmonster304

I am thinking of testing out with a pressure tank as a little cushion

Wet_Boots likes this.
  5. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

Why add a pressure tank when the system was built several years ago and has been fine til now? Is it the same zone that randomly pops on?

6. OP
    OP
    greenmonster304

Well truth be told he says it has always happened just never thought to mention. We noticed today while there fixing a leak

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Water hammer

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

So a valve need pressure to shut off aka seal. So I'm thinking there's leak down when system isn't running and it takes a little time to fill lines and create enough pressure to shut off the valves that are not "on". Seen this often on pump systems

Outlawn likes this.
  9. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Senior Member
    from nunya

If not a leak, is there a check valve at the pump? Could be fouled up and letting the main drain

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Water hammer