2 zones popping on.

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by greenmonster304, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Until the main line is pressurized and the internal pressures equalized within the zone valves, they are free to do whatever. Some systems are on the edge of total failure by way of multiple zone valves staying open when a pump is first turned on.

zr100 likes this.
  2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

yes I've experienced this. Until I replaced several Pro Flows couldn't get any zone to work since most of them were effectively running aka open

3. DitchDiggler

DitchDiggler LawnSite Member

Sounds like a hydraulics and design issue. The pressure on the top of the diaphragm is dropped too quickly, allowing the valve to open. As the pressure builds back up it closes, just as boots said. Try adjusting the flow control on the valves or nozzle down the heads. Or install a VFD.

4. OP
    OP
    greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

Well Friday as an experiment I hooked up a pressure tank near the well head and it seems to have cured the problem.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Water hammer :)

Outlawn and greenmonster304 like this.
  6. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

2432BC2C-55BB-4245-BCCA-53BC37815316.gif

7. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It could have something to do with the air being in the lines. I’ve notice that if I have to do a mainline repair, quite often one or more zones will pop up for a few seconds and then go back down.

8. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Just a question about this issue for my education:
    If a zone has a dedicated valve, wouldn’t that zone turning on when not “told to do so” mean it’s a bad valve?
    Or is there a failsafe in valves that cause them to open upon pressure exceeding their stated capacity?
    In regards to a vfd, there’s a cycle up time which can be adjusted so the pump won’t just hit full hyper speed trying to maintain the psi.
    Was the conclusion of this issue determined the ramp up time on this pump was so short and the pump so strong it blew open valves?

9. OP
    OP
    greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

The system and pump was in place when I came on the seen. It was for dust suppression on a dressage ring. We expanded it to irrigate the jumping field. If I was starting from scratch I probably would have done something different with the pump. It is a $$$ 7.5 hp submersible $$$ so I don’t think they will replace it with a VFD if it can be fixed with a $500 pressure tank.

1idejim likes this.