2000 Scag STT-31BSG 72"

DaveWB

LawnSite Senior Member
Picked up this 2000 Scag STT-31BSG, needs hydraulic work. Pretty much everything is has been replaced in last three years except hydraulic system. Has had a new seal kit put in one of the motors already by previous guy. I took both wheel motors out, does anyone know if the wear plates are supposed to look all scratched? I'm probably going to take them into the local hydraulics shop anyways.

pc130444.jpg

pc130443.jpg

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
I think I saw that on craigslist. If I remember right it was priced decently. Just didn't want to buy another project. The hydro's should be pretty easy to get up and running. Just remember to replace a whole side not just a wheel motor or pump, due both.

OP
D

DaveWB

LawnSite Senior Member
Ended up costing $1370.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
D

DaveWB

LawnSite Senior Member
I think I saw that on craigslist. If I remember right it was priced decently. Just didn't want to buy another project. The hydro's should be pretty easy to get up and running. Just remember to replace a whole side not just a wheel motor or pump, due both.
Yep it was on craigslist, was asking $1800 which was pretty good. Just wondering what the reason is for replacing a whole side? Both sides have at least one thing that needs to be rebuilt/replaced.
Thanks

OP
D

DaveWB

LawnSite Senior Member
Did some one cut the right front caster and move it out farther?
Posted via Mobile Device
It does look like it was welded there, I don't really know much about scags but I assumed it came like this but I am probably wrong, does the wider front wheel make it more stable on hills?

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
I wonder if it could have been a 61 refit with a 72. Or it could have been for stability. I know when I had my exmark 72 it was way out like that
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
D

DaveWB

LawnSite Senior Member
I wonder if it could have been a 61 refit with a 72. Or it could have been for stability. I know when I had my exmark 72 it was way out like that
Posted via Mobile Device
He did say a new deck was put on about 2 years ago, so maybe, I'm looking at blasting it this winter and repainting it. Should be a nice project. Engine sounds nice, sounds like a diesel.

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Yep it was on craigslist, was asking $1800 which was pretty good. Just wondering what the reason is for replacing a whole side? Both sides have at least one thing that needs to be rebuilt/replaced.
Thanks
How the fluid cycles is why. If the right wheel motor bearing goes all the filings get put right into the pump. If you follow the hose rountings you would understand. Wheel motors are interchangable side to side, so if you have a good one put it with the used pump. Then put the new pump and wheel motor on one side. If it is both wheel motors or pumps atleast tear down both of the good units, replace anything worn and clean everything really good (lines, cooler, res).

The thing that sucks is if you replace the wheel motor then the pump goes out soon after words due to damage from the wheel motor going bad.
Posted via Mobile Device