Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two 60" Zs and both of them are cutting at a way different height than what the lever is set at. I performed the leveling procedure as outlined in the manual but that just makes sure it is level left to right and front to back.

I found one is about 1/4-1/2" off and the other is at least 1". I have adjusted the lift chains all the way to the top to make up for the 1/4-1/2" that the one is off, but then I can't raise the deck all the way up because the stops hit the frame. When I put the chains back down, the stops are only about 1/8-1/4" off the frame when fully up.

It seems the blades are hanging too low. The tires are set at 13psi. Do you think I should just set the tires to a higher pressure or is there a way to fix this?

I haven't looked at the machine that is supposedly off by 1", but I was told it was way off.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There could be over 3000 hours on it. I replaced the motor at 2041, which was 12 hours ago. Supposedly the motor had been replaced before I started here but nobody can tell me for sure.

I thought about the bushing issue but everything is tight. I released all tension from deck and shook the lift shafts and no movement.

I will double check the rear cross arm but I didn't notice it being messed up.

I know the "trailing arms" that keep the deck from swinging around have bad bushings but my supervisor doesn't want to wait for me to get new ones. I think at this point the holes are so elongated that either a new bracket will need to be made or a plate welded in. But that wouldn't affect the HOC.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I've got two 60" Zs and both of them are cutting at a way different height than what the lever is set at. I performed the leveling procedure as outlined in the manual but that just makes sure it is level left to right and front to back.
I'm just wondering, how are you measuring the height ? I assume you want to match the deck height with the adjuster numbers ?

I found one is about 1/4-1/2" off and the other is at least 1". I have adjusted the lift chains all the way to the top to make up for the 1/4-1/2" that the one is off, but then I can't raise the deck all the way up because the stops hit the frame. When I put the chains back down, the stops are only about 1/8-1/4" off the frame when fully up.
Here is something to think about, if you lose 1/8 of an inch from wear and tear on each chain link, times the number of links, not including the links that are bolted on, 1/16 there......it adds up. 3000 plus hours, you might have some wear there.

It seems the blades are hanging too low. The tires are set at 13psi. Do you think I should just set the tires to a higher pressure or is there a way to fix this?
You could bump the pressure up, gain maybe a 1/4 inch, but the ride would suffer with harder tires......But that won't help if you are setting up for the adjuster

It has been a while since I've had to set the height on a deck, but I do believe you do it with the chain hangers and not the chains, you should be able to make the adjustment just as you would to level the deck. But don't hold me to that :rolleyes:

Reactions: ericg

·
Registered
776 Posts
With the amount of hours you have on the machines its no wonder the cut low. Things where out. Even your tires could gain you some hieght. Replace all the warn parts. That will help but not take care of all you issues, I have had to cut and shorten the links on the hieght adjuster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.