1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Palmer Family Landscaping, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Palmer Family Landscaping

Palmer Family Landscaping LawnSite Member

My husband's little Mazda truck was pushed hard this season (our first) and died right at the end (a couple days ago). He's borrowing his dad's 3/4 ton to finish his fall clean-ups. So now we're truck shopping!

We are thinking 3/4 ton gas, 6.0L or less V8, long box, extended cab, 2WD, automatic (so I can also drive it just in case)
    He doesn't plan on ever doing snow plowing, and will be towing a 6'x10' or 12' (will also be getting a bigger trailer as his now is 5'x8' and is too small for his Z-turn)

Looking at this one https://spokane.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2002-cheverolet-silverado/6359312874.html

Minus the fact that the dealer misspelled Chevrolet, thoughts on that particular truck? Thoughts on what we're looking for?

Also considering
    http://www.globemotorsusa.com/vehicle-details/used-1996-dodge-ram-2500--spokane-wa-id-20519334
    Except it's a V10... does it make that big of a difference on gas mileage? I told my husband, "You're getting a big truck and your towing. No matter what, you aren't going to get good gas mileage."

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/98-gmc-sierra-2500/6324553936.html
    Does a new motor put in raise red flags? Lots of miles on the rest of the truck?

Thanks for any advice!

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Chicago

Do you haul a 5th wheel?

I personally would keep looking none of those trucks jump out as a great deal. They all have some issues that throw me off. Plus I'm a Ford guy so don't know all the qurks of the Chevy's and dodges.

RDALawns likes this.
  3. Palmer Family Landscaping

No, we don't. We'd sell the trailer hitch from the bed of the 2002 Chevy 2500. What issues throw you off on that one in particular? A fresh set of eyes looking at all of these is super helpful!

4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Chicago

Only 120k miles with the 5th wheel on an 02 means it didn't see alot of use. Most likey sat for long periods.

The Dodge the same with even lower miles and older means it sat alot. Sitting is never good.

The third looks like it was rode hard.

All of them are in the age of needing stuff done. Ball joints, tune up, bushings, hoses, etc.. I would check to see if and what's been replaced.

With any used truck it's a crap shoot if it will last a month or 10 years without major work. If you or your husband is not mechanical/knowledgeable best to have a trusted mechanic check over any truck before you buy.

RDALawns likes this.
  5. Palmer Family Landscaping

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you! Yes, we plan on having our mechanic that we trust look at anything before we buy.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Palmer Family Landscaping

7. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definitely look into a new truck as well. If you aren't mechanical it will be nice to have the warranty for 3 years. Consider resale value and it could last you a decade or more if you take care of it.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

02 is too old
    Shouldn’t be looking older than 06-07 at this point
    Otherwise you’ll put in more repairs than paid for the truck in a short period of time

ebone capone and Rockchoplawn like this.
  9. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

I've got a 02 2500hd 6.0 4x4 extended cab. I bought it with about 130k on it. I've put about 30k on it in 4-5 years. It's a dedicated spray truck. Solid engine and transmission. I've replaced starter, alternator, fuel pump, brakes. About what you'd expect out of a $5800 work truck. I'm shopping for a newer version of the same truck to replace it. I also have a 2016 2500hd crew 4x4. They are my go it truck.

10. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Senior Member

I never understand why people buy trucks that old. No wonder people look down on lawn care guys. If you don’t want a truck that will see lots of shop time I would recommend something no older than 10 years, probably at least a 2010 if you want to look professional.

In my opinion the higher initial cost is a better investment than a lower priced/ older truck that’s repair bills will end up costing you more in the long run. Especially if this is your main rig

ron mexico75 likes this.