2003 case 580 m

mrsops

LawnSite Silver Member
still been searching around for a backhoe the past few months trying to find a good enough deal. came across this case 580 machine about 15 mins from where i live. Machine was in good shape had 3000 hrs on it with cab, heat, air, 4 in bucket, no ride control. Guy wanted 32,000. But one problem what in gods name is up with these sticks LOL. I couldn't even dig a hole with this thing it had 4 sticks and i was totally confused by them lol. Well what do you all think about the price maybe its something i may have to get use to

tailboardtech

LawnSite Senior Member
i learned on a 4 stick there not that bad :p i would say go for it the 580's are pretty much bullet proof imo. i think the hours are a little high for what hes asking though and if the 4-1 buckets on the hoe just warning ya there a little tipsy when you swing to the side.

and if you think 4 stick is bad run a case from back in the 50/60's that had 3 sticks and the swing on you foot i couldn't even dig a hole to throw myself in:laugh:

OP
M

mrsops

LawnSite Silver Member
From the research i have been doing on machinery trader I'm seeing machines with more hours going for more.

coopers

LawnSite Bronze Member
Once you get some time in on the sticks they're nothing. I love them. I refuse to use a hoe with excavator controls. Did that once and I kept expecting the whole machine to move and that messed with my head. lol.

I learned on case controls so they have a soft spot in my heart.

tnmtn

LawnSite Bronze Member
your dealer should have a kit to convert it to 2 stick backhoe for a reasonable price.

Mow4It

LawnSite Member
The four sticks tells me it's either an extendahoe or is plumbed for auxiliary hydraulics - like for a hammer, correct? Also, is it 2wd or 4wd? Is it a plain M, M Turbo, or Super M?

If you learned on wobble sticks you are probably never going to like Case controls. Not saying you couldn't learn, but it's going to be aggravating for a while.

OP
M

mrsops

LawnSite Silver Member
The four sticks tells me it's either an extendahoe or is plumbed for auxiliary hydraulics - like for a hammer, correct? Also, is it 2wd or 4wd? Is it a plain M, M Turbo, or Super M?

If you learned on wobble sticks you are probably never going to like Case controls. Not saying you couldn't learn, but it's going to be aggravating for a while.
Its an extendahoe 4wd 580m. I def would not buy the machine with the case controls.

Swampy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Once you get some time in on the sticks they're nothing. I love them. I refuse to use a hoe with excavator controls. Did that once and I kept expecting the whole machine to move and that messed with my head. lol.

I learned on case controls so they have a soft spot in my heart.
When I train soldiers new to the 580 Super M, I always flip that Ex controls on and some pick it up easier, others that are use to the SEE truck (equiped with the foldable case backhoe) are use to those. But I have them try the backhoe controls to see what style they like more.

Honesty running older 4 stick its a learning curve, you'll get use to it just takes time.