1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

2005 chevy c7500 dump truck

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by scagrider22, Mar 14, 2013.

1. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

"According to the Federal Motor Carrier and Safety Administration, you DO NOT need a CDL with air brake endorsement to drive a vehicle that is under 26,000 GVWR that has air brakes. The reasoning behind this is that since a CDL is not required to drive the vehicle, there is no way to require the "air brake" endorsement under the CDL guidelines".

I found this on a trucking forumn, not sure if it's accurate or not. I've been driving trucks for with air brakes for 15 years and I have never had an issue and all of our local dealers advertise them as you don't need a CDL.

2. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

These three statements are so ignorant.

3. Duffster

from Midwest

Show us whee it says you need one.

4. Duffster

from Midwest

There is NO such thing as an air endorsement. :hammerhead:

5. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

Well when I got piled over by dot last year that is what I was told and got a ticket for
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Duffster

from Midwest

Got a ticket for what?

7. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

I read that too
    Ticket for out of class
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

This is a common misconception. There is no such thing as an air brake endorsement. There can be an air brake restriction on a CDL meaning you took the CDL (class A or B) without passing or taking the air brake test part (such as doing your test in a Ryder rental truck with a 29,000 GVW with hydraulic brakes). With regards to a truck under 26,000 GVW there is no requirement for a CDL license so it is a moot point on the air brake restriction. So to answer the original question there is nothing extra you are required to do to drive a straight truck with air brakes under 26,000:waving:

You got to watch what you tow it can put you very fast out of class.

9. Duffster

from Midwest

You may have been out of class but it wasn't because of air brakes.

10. jsroda

jsroda LawnSite Member

Thanks Joesimes2 for clearing that up, I was always told that you had to have a CDL to drive any vehicle with air brakes. Im glad I know the truth now, Thanks!