2005 Exmark Lazer z 27 hp Kohler charging issue

Alex Gambs

LawnSite Member
I use the mower all day cutting about 5 lawns and it starts and runs fine. But as soon as I get home to unload it, the battery is dead. I have to throw it on a trickle charge for 10 min and it's ready to go.

I've already replaced the voltage regulator and now trying to see if anyone has some input on what next to check.

TripleT

LawnSite Member
Do you know if the voltage regulator was bad? Should have 12+ (typically 13-14 volts) volts at the battery with the engine running, anything less not good. Could be the battery, best way to check is with a hydrometer. I've seen where you can charge them and imediately they will be good enough to start but still can be bad.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Could be a bad key switch not cutting off the 12v to the system. It has a couple circuits in it, right ? One kills/grounds coil, one supplies 12v, one for starting.
Unhook positive bat. cable and put a test light from cable to + post. Should not light up.
Check fuse holders fer corrosion, loose grip on fuse blades etc.
Check all yer grounds.

OP
A

Alex Gambs

LawnSite Member
Could be a bad key switch not cutting off the 12v to the system. It has a couple circuits in it, right ? One kills/grounds coil, one supplies 12v, one for starting.
Unhook positive bat. cable and put a test light from cable to + post. Should not light up.
Check fuse holders fer corrosion, loose grip on fuse blades etc.
Check all yer grounds.

That was gonna be my next thing to do, the key switch. I'll do that and I will get back to ya and what happens thanks

TripleT

LawnSite Member
Like BigFish says troubleshoot it before you buy a new one. If its bad make sure your new switch matches. Just becasue it will plugs in does not mean it matches. Look at the terminal letters/ orinataion and make sure they match. Again make sure the battery is good.