1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

2006 dodge 1500 4x4 4.7 v8

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 1MajorTom, Jan 25, 2010.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Former Moderator

does anyone own this truck, use it hard daily for towing? and what are you pulling? how does it perform on hills?
    give me a review

thanks,

2. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Before I bought my 06 I had an 04' 1500 4.7 w/ 4.10. With the 4.10's that thing really put out some power, and I have no doubts that it would've been a decent enough tow-er for a lawn business. But, the mileage was a joke, the best I could do was 13 unloaded, no matter how I drove. If you buy a 4.7 I wouldn't buy one with anything less than the 4.10's though. I've driven an 02' w/ the 4.7 & 3.55's and it was a complete pig. Always down shifting going up hills and such. If I had of bought another gasser I would've just bought the Hemi. You get all the power & the mileage is either about the same or better than the 4.7.

3. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest the Hemi as well, if going for a half-ton Dodge. A friend of mine has a 4.7 in a 2wd and even with dual exhaust and a mild chip, it had no towing power.