2006 Exmark slow/weak drive on left side

scott2165

LawnSite Member
2006 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48”
Model THP19KAE483
pump is hydro gear PG-1GQQ-DY1X-XXXX

I bought this mower used form a landscape company. I’ll admit I know very little about walk behinds. I bought this machine not knowing what the drives should feel like or how they operate.

I’m somewhat mechanical and can drive the wheels off most anything. I’ve quickly learned how to run this machine in most any situation.

The left drive is much slower than the right in both forward and reverse. The right side is fast and strong. The left is about 1/4 as fast.

Going forward, any speed beyond 2 1/2-3, the machine quickly pulls left.

Reverse is the same. The right moves fast and the left just crawls.

There are no obvious leaks. The machine was really dirty so I’ve cleaned it and am looking for leaks.

Hydrolic fluid was 1/4 quart low. I’ve topped it off. No change in performance.

The set screw in the left drive allowed for some play. I tightened it up and no change in performance other than no more slack in lever.

I jacked it up and the speed difference is visible.

Nearest dealer is an hour away.

I’d like to see if I can fix it but not opposed to a pro if I have to. I got a fadeal on it so I don’t mind to spend some money on it but don’t want to throw money at it either.

I don’t hear any noises, whining, grinding, nothing. Tires are same psi and diameter.

I’d appreciate any guidance before I start tossing parts at it.

Attachments

• 97A877C5-DB6F-4378-BFE4-4CBCC8A3EFB6.jpeg
    97A877C5-DB6F-4378-BFE4-4CBCC8A3EFB6.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 35
OP
S

scott2165

LawnSite Member
There is no level on mine. There is a bolt that performs the same function as the level and it is tight. The set screw is also tight. It was loose when I got it and there was play in the left lever but that’s not an issue now. Although, I wonder if the set screw is sliding on the input shaft due to wear?

OP
S

scott2165

LawnSite Member
Update...

the set screw tightened up about 1/2 a turn or so and now it takes off fast and seems stronger. I now think the controls are way out of adjustment. Inow have to squeeze the left handle to stay straight. It was the opposite.

OP
S

scott2165

LawnSite Member
It does. Works with an Allen wrench. Seems the size I need has grown legs. I’ll adjust that in a few once I hunt down the right size. I’m hoping that’s the cure.

The set screw seems to back out as I mow. Not sure why.

When I crank it now it takes off at about second gear speed on the left and stays put on the right. I assume track adjustment will cure that.

Top Forums