2006 Ford Diesel Fuel Tank Cleaning

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
I removed the sending unit and pumped fuel out. There is grit on the walls that doesn't seem to come off with a stiff brush. I found some of the grit in the lower filter housing when i replaced filter and cleaned it out. It doesnit look like the delam stuff (black strips) described in diesel forum. How to clean or new tank?

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
, not sure if this will help, video on coating a fuel tank. Don’t know if someone with a sandblaster could try removing old coating and then rinse tank out really well? Good luck

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
As long as the filters are changed at regular service intervals, I think it should be fine. Not sure the age of the truck but if it’s more than 10 years old I wouldn’t worry about it. You’ll spend more money on this problem than the truck is worth. Good luck.

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
If it's on the upper part of the tank then it seems to be light enough to float. I wonder if its algae of some sort or some kind of trash that was already in the fuel ?

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
Winter is slipping away so we got around to pulling the problem fuel tank on this ford. Fine grit was continuing to cause problems.

KIMG1976.JPG

Any thoughts on how to flush the lines?