2007 F750 questions

srl28

LawnSite Bronze Member
Looking for a large single axle, yet under cdl truck. Came across this truck, just not very sure about the 5.9 Cummins in it. Any opinions?

2007 F-750 GVW of 25,999lbs, juice brakes
New/Newer 12ft Dumping Grain/landscape body, twin pistons, PTO
22.5 Wheels
Very clean with 65k original on it
Truck was hit in the cab by a decent size tree branch so some of the cab, hood, all glass, etc was replaced.
Good Tires all around
Dealer will be adding a hitch and electric to the rear, power tarp/roller for the asking price

Asking $37,000

Has the 5.9 Cummins in it, took it for a test drive and aside from some crappy blind spots it was alright, but I'm not sold on it. Any opinions. It needs to be auto (dont want to start an arguement or pissing match over that, and under cdl too)

Krafty

LawnSite Senior Member
The 5.9 is going to be a real pooch for you. I have also heard rumors that with the motor being underpowered for the truck, makes it a real turbo eater.

OP
srl28

srl28

LawnSite Bronze Member
Correct^^ Who knows if they are or not. Does appear to be rather clean, but since it was at a truck "bodyshop" to have the cab work done, everything is sprayed over. Nicely done, but still coated in a shiny black paint. Dash still has some cracks from where branches hit it. Has a rebuild title too because of the damage. Just not getting the nice fuzzy feeling all around idk

Landrus2

LawnSite Fanatic
Correct^^ Who knows if they are or not. Does appear to be rather clean, but since it was at a truck "bodyshop" to have the cab work done, everything is sprayed over. Nicely done, but still coated in a shiny black paint. Dash still has some cracks from where branches hit it. Has a rebuild title too because of the damage. Just not getting the nice fuzzy feeling all around idk
Your best thing is to take an oil sample text.

OP
srl28

srl28

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thought of that too..usually send em to Blackstone labs I believe. But is it even worth it to go through that or is the 5.9 Cummins just flat out not enough for that truck and I shouldnt bother.

tailboardtech

LawnSite Senior Member
The 5.9 is going to be a real pooch for you. I have also heard rumors that with the motor being underpowered for the truck, makes it a real turbo eater.
yup think of it this way they put the same 5.9 cummins engine in the 3/4 and 1 ton dodge trucks then they put it in a ford 750?? :hammerhead:

zabmasonry

LawnSite Senior Member
Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with the 5.9 + an auto in a 750.

I'd pass on that truck, too much money IMO. I'd want a truck with air-brakes (in my state you can drive airbrakes under CDL without a CDL).

True, you see the 5.9 in a 3/4 ton truck, but folks regularly gross over 26,000 with those trucks. I'm guessing that you are going to register it for 26,000 so you should never be grossing over that, keep in mind that this truck likely weighs 13,000-14,000 empty so you can't tow really much more then a 1 ton legally.

Is a 5.9 going to get you there very quickly, no. If you rail on it will it wear hard, yeah. Is a 5.9 enough to do the job, probably. Has it been derated from what 3/4 ton has, likely.

We've got an 02 with a 3126 (7.2L) and its enough HP for the job. It gets gear-bound with a full load in the hills, but otherwise its enough.

If you want a really sturdy engine in that class your going to have to go with the DT466

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
A 750 rated at 25,999? Weird, I would have guessed it to be a 650. I would do some further checking, that doesn't make much sense.

As for the 5.9, I wouldn't be too scared of it. It's a bigger truck and going to drive like a bigger truck. The Cat or PS wouldn't be any better, and there is probably more options to do a little something to the Cummins than the others. I think you may be limited by gear ration though.

I have one in a F800 (F650 equivalent) with 5.11 gears and it is no speed demon but has torque enough to move a mountain. None of them will though. I also have a 750 rated at 230 HP with the Cat that has a higher top end, but not much more off the line.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with the 5.9 + an auto in a 750.

I'd pass on that truck, too much money IMO. I'd want a truck with air-brakes (in my state you can drive airbrakes under CDL without a CDL).
Good point on the air brakes. Far better option.

And actually, you can operate air brakes in any state without a CDL if it's under the magic number.