1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

2007 HD problem

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by robertsturf, Dec 7, 2007.

1. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I just finished plowing my first snow with my new 2005 HD. At 9:30pm list night my truck stopped moving. It was idling but wouldn't move. The dash said engine power ruduced. So I shut the truck off and it still wouldn't move. I played around with the battery terminals and found them to be slightly lose. So tightened them. The check engine light came on so I called Onstar to run a test. They said it had something to do with the electronic throttle control and I needed to take it to the dealer. We were able to drive it home and finish plowing with our other truck 2006 Silverado 1500. I took it to the dealer today and they said it was the battery terminal problem. I should not mount any add-on equipment to the battery terminals. Ok so I do I solve this issue? I have a snow plow, tail gate spreader and need to hook up the vibrator. I thought about replacing the mounting bolt with a slightly longer one and tighting the cables with a nut then with the remaining threads adding the wiring for the additional items. Or possible a relay terminal block set-up. I think that's how stereo shops wire in those big amp systems. Any help would be appreciated!!

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Might think about converting to duals.
    Other trucks run plows/spreaders without ill effect, though, so maybe you're fine and the problem was just in the loose connections.

3. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

There should be a big lug somewhere underhood you can tap for your aux elecctrical devices not directly at the battery... that is, a fuse box fed from the battery, follow the big cable that doesn't go tot the starter. Some vehicles even have aux fusible links or fuses for add-ons. Carefully inspect the underhood fuses / fusible links and your owners manual. I don't know much about late model chevy trucks so I can't tell you anything specific, but that is where I would look.

4. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

trade it in for a Dodge CTD :weightlifter:

5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

What about replacing the battery with a dual terminal battery? That seams rather wasteful but the most simple way to fix the problem.

6. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd set it up with a extra battery and a bigger alternator. Running a plow, salter, strobes, and a beckon will draw a lot of power.