2010 deere 1600 wam PTO issue

mike j sbiegay

LawnSite Member
Hello to all.Having issues with my 2010 John Deere 1600 series 2 turbo WAM. The blades do not come on all the time when the PTO is engaged. When the blades do decide to come on everything works well. No issues with the wings or front deck being raised or lowered. All the inputs on the computer show that everything is working. The only thing i do not see is the low range transaxle switch light up on the computer. Now the manual i have is for a 2000 ( did not notice it was wrong year manual) it states the low range switch is behind the computer. Well they moved its location on the 2010 model, and there is nothing on the lever assembly or at any point on the linkage. So i am not sure what they are using to keep you from mowing in high range. As for the deck drive solenoid i am reading 11 ohms(fluke meter only has one position for reading ohms). foot note in manual states most testers may not give accurate readings at very low resistance.Max resistance of 0.1 ohms is what my old manual says. To my limited understanding the computer switches the grounds for things like the deck drive solenoid, right now i have no ground at the deck drive solenoid when the PTO is engaged.
My belief is that the low range switch is the issue. The seat, 3 proximity sensors for the decks and the low range transaxle switch is all (i think) that should be needed for the deck drive solenoid to work. At this time i have not looked at the computer when all was running well to see if low range output was lit up on the computer. And i have not checked to see if mower will shut off when run in high range.
Also the PTO light on the computer does go on and off when the PTO switch is turned on and off. thought i should add that.
If anyone has any crazie ideas or something they saw on a cartoon that would work please chime in.
And If anyone has a manual for this machine i would be interested. thanks for looking. Mike

OP
M

mike j sbiegay

LawnSite Member
Well looked at this weekend and it appears that there is no low range transaxle switch.Also front deck needs to be raised up and lowered before PTO will engage every time you first start the machine. Not even going to question that as to why