2012 marketing. Hows it going?

wintergreen82

LawnSite Member
Here in the Minnesota we get started later than most. I sent first round of mailers out. Not a great response but that is to be expected. We have several more rounds going out along with 96 spots on tv. Has anyone done tv before? Did you like it? Also what is everyone else doing for marketing this year? We more than tripled our marketing budget. If the first round of mailers is any indication, this may be a down year.

sclark

LawnSite Member
I'm a lot smaller than you, but I started the year with 130 customers and have picked up 44 so far this year. I've mailed out flyers and brochures to about 2100 people. I figured on about a 2% return on the mailers and so far that's exactly what they've done, so I can't complain at all. Hopefully as I grow I can also increase the marketing budget and see better results. Curious to know how your television campaign turns out.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Television is very visual. you can show plenty of pristine green lawns with your truck out front. (Provided you are doing a good job). Use photos if you have no video.

Follow TruGreen's example: show pretty women, cute kids and dogs in front of a nice house.
Do not show your equipment. I know you love it and spent a lot of money on it. But it seldom creates any interest from the woman of the house. She wants to know that it is safe, clean, and improves the appearance of her house.

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic

While I realize most Mn contractors make more money Plowing snow than Grass cutting, I am glad for our Year round growing season here in Florida. We just roll on from year to year and don't have to Renew contracts each spring. I am sure that is a hassle and I don't want any part of RESELLING accounts each and every year.

Just today On an other Website I read where BooBy (Ban from LS many years now) was compared to a squirrel hiding his nuts for the long winter. I had to laugh real hard. The truth is always funnier than fiction. I have talked about R&R compared to F&F and I prefer R&R Better and have always tried to establish that in my Business Plan. BTW I am old school and also believe in living way below your means or income.

R&R is REOCCURRING REVENUE while F&F is FEAST or FAMINE. To me a stead income of R&R is a lot easier to handle or budget than a Irregular F&F type income even if it is a larger amount. High Dollar Landscape installs are F&F while Grass cutting on a yearly contract is R&R. Or in my case year round pest control. My F&F comes from things like Fleas Ticks and Bed Bug jobs etc. While my R&R is Fert & Squirt. My R&R income covers more than my expenses so I don't have a Famine nor do I have Huge Feasts.

Right now I believe the up coming election has us in a false economy. Sales are up for me and for the first time in a while The one Inch block Yellow page advertisement And My website are actually very productive. Google has me on the First Page (how long that lasts is any ones guess) and that sure has helped also. I still stash my money or invest, But I am Not a Squirrel that needs acorns to make it through the winter.

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member

While I realize most Mn contractors make more money Plowing snow than Grass cutting, I am glad for our Year round growing season here in Florida. We just roll on from year to year and don't have to Renew contracts each spring. I am sure that is a hassle and I don't want any part of RESELLING accounts each and every year.

Just today On an other Website I read where BooBy (Ban from LS many years now) was compared to a squirrel hiding his nuts for the long winter. I had to laugh real hard. The truth is always funnier than fiction. I have talked about R&R compared to F&F and I prefer R&R Better and have always tried to establish that in my Business Plan. BTW I am old school and also believe in living way below your means or income.

R&R is REOCCURRING REVENUE while F&F is FEAST or FAMINE. To me a stead income of R&R is a lot easier to handle or budget than a Irregular F&F type income even if it is a larger amount. High Dollar Landscape installs are F&F while Grass cutting on a yearly contract is R&R. Or in my case year round pest control. My F&F comes from things like Fleas Ticks and Bed Bug jobs etc. While my R&R is Fert & Squirt. My R&R income covers more than my expenses so I don't have a Famine nor do I have Huge Feasts.

Right now I believe the up coming election has us in a false economy. Sales are up for me and for the first time in a while The one Inch block Yellow page advertisement And My website are actually very productive. Google has me on the First Page (how long that lasts is any ones guess) and that sure has helped also. I still stash my money or invest, But I am Not a Squirrel that needs acorns to make it through the winter.

Alot of truth in what Ric said above. While I don't live in Minnesota, Illinois is about the same way. The last four winters were feast for us plowers, but this last winter was major famine for most. Although, with a famine winter like we just had, it only means we can start lawn work earlier as opposed to later. I have always done the maintenance side of the business cause if i did landscapes/hardscapes too that would mean the whole season would/could be feast or famine all year long. I have to have steady reacuring work part of the year, which for me is lawn maintenance. Most of my contracts are multi year which keeps me from having to bid every year and play the game and for the ones who do the bid every year, well it just plain sucks.

Ric, I really envy you guys down in Florida when we have snowless winters up here in the north country. Someday I'll retire and move down to God's Waiting Room as i hate snow, unless I'm plowing it.

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
Alot of truth in what Ric said above. While I don't live in Minnesota, Illinois is about the same way. The last four winters were feast for us plowers, but this last winter was major famine for most. Although, with a famine winter like we just had, it only means we can start lawn work earlier as opposed to later. I have always done the maintenance side of the business cause if i did landscapes/hardscapes too that would mean the whole season would/could be feast or famine all year long. I have to have steady reacuring work part of the year, which for me is lawn maintenance. Most of my contracts are multi year which keeps me from having to bid every year and play the game and for the ones who do the bid every year, well it just plain sucks.

Ric, I really envy you guys down in Florida when we have snowless winters up here in the north country. Someday I'll retire and move down to God's Waiting Room as i hate snow, unless I'm plowing it.
DLCS

Yep Florida is great especially if you like Alligators, Pythons, Monitor Lizards, Rattle snakes, Cotton Mouths, Fire Ants and Black Widow Spiders.

Be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member
DLCS

Yep Florida is great especially if you like Alligators, Pythons, Monitor Lizards, Rattle snakes, Cotton Mouths, Fire Ants and Black Widow Spiders.

Do Not forget the Canucks and the Joisey and New Yowwwkerr transplants Ric. Put these guys on our roadways and I am sure they kill more people every year than any of the above combined.

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member
DLCS

LOL I would just hire the Gator Boys and Billy the Exterminator to take care of them.

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member
Do Not forget the Canucks and the Joisey and New Yowwwkerr transplants Ric. Put these guys on our roadways and I am sure they kill more people every year than any of the above combined.

Most of those "snowbirds" never made it to Florida this winter cause it was so warm up north that they didn't leave or they came home early. The biggest thing I hate about going to Florida in the winter for a 2 week vacation is dealing with every snowbird from up north, on the roadways. I don't know how you guys deal with it.

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
LOL I would just hire the Gator Boys and Billy the Exterminator to take care of them.

Yes But Al Capone isn't around to take care of the Cacucks, Joisey and New Yowwwkerr A holes.