2012 Newbie

BigMulch

LawnSite Member
I am thinking of starting a lawn mowing business but I want to do it the right way and get insurance and get registered. I am planning on using my 22" toro mower and a weed wacker that I already own. I have a couple of questions.
1. What insurance should I get?
2. Should I start as and LLC or is there a better choice?
3.When should I start advertising and what is the best method for advertising?

Thanks for the help
More questions to come if i think of some.

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Start with a 1mil liability
You can start with an llc or sole prop just get your dba squared away for bank and tax purposes
Door hangers, fliers, direct mail, and then once you have the business, word of mouth.

Invest in good equipment, know your cost, develop systems, learn your market, and practice manageable growth.
O yeah, welcome to lawn site
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
B

BigMulch

LawnSite Member
Start with a 1mil liability
You can start with an llc or sole prop just get your dba squared away for bank and tax purposes
Door hangers, fliers, direct mail, and then once you have the business, word of mouth.

Invest in good equipment, know your cost, develop systems, learn your market, and practice manageable growth.
O yeah, welcome to lawn site
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
B

BigMulch

LawnSite Member
On average how much is 1mil liability per month or per year. What is the Dba and how much would that be and where can I get it. Sorry for all the questions. I had found lawnsite about 2 years and check it almost every day especially the picture side lawnsite
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Prices vary by state and company on gl(general liability). Also based on revenue.
DBA-Doing Business As. Cheap to free depending on location. Google it for more info :)
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
B

BigMulch

LawnSite Member
So first I need to get a Dba then llc or solo operator and insurance at the end right. Those that insurance cover my vehicle. Do I register my business name when I do the llc or solo operation. Thanks for the help
Posted via Mobile Device

s-lc

LawnSite Member
if you are starting small, i would recommend what i did. im in ny btw.

1-go to your local county govnt office and set up a dba.---"joe smith doing business as joes lawn care"
2-set up a business account at the bank with your dba**this is very important-worse case scenario if someone wants to sue you, they can only have access to your business account and not your personal/family savings.
3-stop by several insurance brokers and see who has the best 1 mil policy-i pay about 800 a year for lawn mowing alone
4-invest in quality equipment. start small and grow but dont buy cheap stuff.
5-in regards to advertising, i have been most successful by simply talking/networking and asking around my neighborhood. also, after the season starts, i had many people come up to me when i was starting/finishing a job and ask me to give an estimate.

feel free to ask anything else...good luck

jequigle

LawnSite Member
So first I need to get a Dba then llc or solo operator and insurance at the end right. Those that insurance cover my vehicle. Do I register my business name when I do the llc or solo operation. Thanks for the help
Posted via Mobile Device
I used MyCorporation.com and paid about $600 for them to do all the paperwork for an LLC.

My insurance with 1mil is $58/month

Make sure you go to your town and get a business license.