1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

2013 wright zk engine replacement?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BrandonV, Sep 6, 2019.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

we have a zk w/ 1500hrs and it's been a great machine. this week the engine threw a rod or something so it now has a hole in the engine. seems like a replacement engine will run 2k$ if we install it ourself. My question is would you? nothing else has ever been replaced except belts. How long do the drive motors/etc usually last and is it a waste of $$ to put a new engine on it? just looking for opinions. bought another stander today to replace it in the fleet so i'm not super rushed to get it back into operation.

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Alot of how you and /or who takes care of and runs the machine will effect it's longevity. We run Exmarks, I've seen a brand new machine with a unitized wheel motor pump grenade with less then 100 hours on it. Had a wheel motor go bad a few weeks ago, 3500+ hours. Replace the whole thing because I found fine dust like metal in the reservoir. I did a 100 hours service on another today, oil change etc. That machine has 5092 hours on it. Never had a problem with the hydros....

Don't curb hop, no wheelies, no drifting......Make sure the fan is clear of any trash, they are air cooled......

As to your question, I've replace an engine at 2300 hours on one Exmark...Right now that machine has 4300+ hours on it......

BrandonV and hort101 like this.