2014 72" Scag Cheetah review

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Welcome to the forum.

IIRC, you need a minimum of ten posts before they give you the ability to post pictures. Be nice to see when you get the chance though.

sae185628

LawnSite Member
The numbers I posted above are the current HP ratings under J1995 which is what Kawi has been using, and now Kohler and briggs are finally coming around to. So, yes, 31.9. You are right on about Vanguard. They are loath to let you really know the true rating for some odd reason. I did find the J1995 rating for the 35 a while back, and now I can't locate it, but IIRC, it was right around 33 HP.

Am I reading this right? The Kohler 34hp EFI is actually 31.9hp? The Vanguard 35 HP is actually 33 HP? So, is Kawasaki 31 HP 31HP?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Am I reading this right? The Kohler 34hp EFI is actually 31.9hp? The Vanguard 35 HP is actually 33 HP? So, is Kawasaki 31 HP 31HP?

Kohler has been over rating their engines forever, even after the lawsuit several years back now. Kawi was the first to start using the new J1995 rating system, then slowly Kohler started using it, but was still over inflating their ratings. Vanguard has been too to some extent. Kohler does have the correct numbers for their engines now, but you have to look for them. The ones they list the engines as are still not accurate. It's irritating as heck too, because it makes shopping and comparing apples to apples a lot harder than it should be.

The Kohler numbers in my post are taken from their site in their spec charts.

sae185628

LawnSite Member
I remembered the lawsuit, but I figured by now they would be posting accurate hp ratings. I think they use to have a 15% variance? The scag dealer just told me that Briggs rates their hp ratings at the maximum end, vs Kawasaki rates theirs more to the middle (mean) of what their engines can do over a period of time. I too just want to compare apples to apples.

snow4me

LawnSite Member
I have a 2014 Scag Cheetah 72" with the Kohler Command Pro 940ECV EFI engine which i was told is a 34hp engine. Let me start by saying I have a 2011 Scag Cheeetah 61" with a Kawaski 850V and I love that machine. It has over 1,600 hours on it and it is still running strong without any major issues. I mow in low and high gears depending upon conditions and customer and it flat out flys and cuts like a dream. The 72" Cheetah has been a major disappointment from day1. It had oil burning issues upon delivery and even after changing to 20W-50 it still consumes oil. The engine in mine is so weak I have to mow at 6mph or less in spring grass or it won't cut clean and you can just feel the engine lugging down if you go any faster. I only can mow with this unit in low gear. At end of first season after buying it in July it had an oil leak on the left ZT-5400 tranaxle. My dealer replaced the entire axle under warranty and after using it in the spring fast growth period here in Northern Illinois I brought it in to complain about how weak the engine was and the oil consumption. I didn't have a leak down tester at the time so I trusted what my dealer told me which was it tested within normal spec range. They did however find that the axle they had replaced now had an internal shaft broken which was in their opinion robbing power causing me to have to mow turtle slow to cut grass with this mower. My 61" Cheetah was more productive sharing duties on the same 5 acre lawn that was when I'd had enough and brought it in to let them figure out the problem. The dealer had it for 3 weeks and kept saying the part was on back order. Then they said Scag shipped the wrong part which was when I got really pissed off. They were not willing to give me a demo until I made a stink about it on a forum and word got back to Scag. They immediately gave me the regional managers personal machine to use as a demo until mine was fixed. I had that mower for about 5 weeks before I finally got mine back in late July. By then grass was dry and not growing much so I had no way of telling if it was any better in the thick grass. By fall when I had to do leaf cleanups I put on Gator Blades and the extra weight of thosde blades slowed it back down to turtle speed so I knew it was still under powered. It also now had developed an oil leak this time on the right side ZT-5400 transaxle. I finally bought a leak down tester and found it is showing 40% leakage on the left cylinder through the intake valve and rings and 34% on right side same problem intake valve and rings. This engine consumes 1 quart of 20W-50 every 12-15 hours. I am taking it in Monday to have them find out if they can get the other axle repaired under warranty and tell them about the continued engine problems. This will be the 4th trip to the dealer since I bought it in July 2014. I wonder if the Illinois attorney General would consider this a recreational vehicle? It has been out of service for more than 30 days... and it has under 12,000 miles on it...
Is My Vehicle a Lemon?
In order to be covered by the Illinois Lemon Law, a vehicle must:

• have a nonconformity that both substantially impairs the use , market value or safety of the vehicle and is not repairable by the dealer or manufacturer in at least four attempts for the same repair, or

• be out of service for a total of 30 or more business days.
The Lemon Law DOES Cover: New Cars (purchased or leased)
Light Trucks and vans under 8,000 pounds
Recreational vehicles (excluding trailers)
Vehicles in their first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first
Vehicles purchased in Illinois

The Lemon Law DOES NOT Cover: Used Cars
Altered or modified vehicles
Motorcycles and boats

Top Forums