2014 Toro Zmaster 3000 series keeps breaking deck belts

mark123

LawnSite Senior Member
Since last season my old Toro had been eating deck belts. I've been buying Stens 265-660 (that's also what the local yokels get you if you order from the local shop at the MSPR price of OEM but that's another story) for years. They've lasted a couple years until late last season where they now last about 3 weeks and sometimes only a couple days.

The belts and pulleys get extremely hot and the belt starts losing chunks and just snaps.

I've checked each pulley, they all spin freely, none of them wobble. I've replaced all the idlers. I've taken it back to the shop with the "Toro trained mechanics" and they found no issues.

I replaced the clutch myself but it worked fine for almost a year before this trouble happened. I've also run the clutch without a belt on and it doesn't heat up.

I've got an OEM belt but I don't want to install it until I find the heat issue.

Any ideas what else to check?

milo

LawnSite Bronze Member
it sounds like the belt is routed wrong and rubbing something it should not be. I would lower the deck all the way down and really look at the routing of the belt. It also could be the belt jumping off a idler while using and ripping itself apart that way. Has to be with the routing though mostly because you also said its really really hard to put belt on

OP
mark123

mark123

LawnSite Senior Member
The spring loaded idler arm must be free. There should be -0- resistance on its ability to move.
I did remove it and the pivot pin was pretty well rusted. I drove it out and greased it and stuck it back together. It moves freely but I’m concerned about it. It’s still way too tight and heating up the belt.

Looks like the zerk was plugged and no grease was getting into it. For how long, I do not know.

OP
mark123

mark123

LawnSite Senior Member
it sounds like the belt is routed wrong and rubbing something it should not be. I would lower the deck all the way down and really look at the routing of the belt. It also could be the belt jumping off a idler while using and ripping itself apart that way. Has to be with the routing though mostly because you also said its really really hard to put belt on
The routing looks correct and I don’t see it rubbing on anything.
3158C822-1262-4E15-AC21-21F70DD57034.jpeg
24531FC7-88B8-438F-9105-632A3AAC10D9.jpeg

american dream

LawnSite Senior Member
Check all pulleys for free spin and make sure none of them have any debris or nicks in them. If that’s all good it would be a routing issue or possibly tension spring weak. Also check your idler for free movement.

milo

LawnSite Bronze Member
did you try to have the foot rest up like in the pic and watch everything spin with blades on? Theres like only 3 or 4 things that could cause this. Are you sure you are ordering the correct belts? Like are you looking up the parts for a different mower and think you are buying the right belt but it's really for a entire different mower. Only say because you say belt feels tighter

71GTX

LawnSite Senior Member
If its the correct OEM belt to that 3000 and does not fit has to be the wrong size idler pulley.

Top Forums