2016 Gravely pro walk 48 reviews

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by DonnieM22, Feb 12, 2018 at 5:56 AM.

1. DonnieM22

DonnieM22 LawnSite Member

I have the opportunity to pick this machine up for $3000 from an acquaintance. He is in the business of buying repo machines from banks and reselling them. Its in very good condition, 90 hours on the machine. I've never used the V-grip style, I'm used to the pistol grip. Can anyone give me a review of this machine? I will be mowing properties with a lot of rolling hills. 00K0K_fq0GFg4QT7x_600x450.jpg 00B0B_cw3GsSdT0Sn_1200x900.jpg 01111_dfvn4L3G2fo_1200x900.jpg

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Looks nice, can you run it and see how you like it first?

Is 3k a firm price?

3. DonnieM22

He has no problem with me running it/testing hydro pumps. Pretty firm on the price. He came down from $3600. But being that we have 8 inches of snow right now, I can only test drive in the driveway. I've heard good things but I've also heard that they don't cut nice/clump...I'm used to running scags...

4. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Silver Member

3k 90hrs for that unit would be very good price here.

5. Sherlin Lawncare

Sherlin Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from va

I have owned that exact machine for several years now. Controls are great. Cut wasn’t at first. Took a lot of tweaking before I got cutting the way I wanted. Deck pitch, blade spacers on the spindles at different heights and several different styles of blades. Not crazy about the deck. Cuts great when clean, but has to be scraped often. There’s just too much stuff under there for the clippings to get stuck on. I have considered cutting some out to improve the flow, but haven’t got the guts to do it yet. Love being able to operate with one hand if needed.

6. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

They make the same machines in JD GREEN. I've had mine for about 400hrs. The above review is spot on. Cuts good unless wet. Decent speed. Controls are nice but not as stable on hills as pistols. Built like a tank. Mine had right at 120hrs got it for 3500 with sulky after tax.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Dude
    I wish your acquaintance was around here

I’d buy that up in a second

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

It will run like a dream in comparison to a scag walk behind
    No more hand cramps
    I can crush a persons skull with one hand from the work out I got from years of using scag pistol grips

9. DonnieM22

Thanks for all the replies guys. My dad has owned a gravely 260z for about 13 years. When I was in school and living at home, I would cut his grass. Since I used scags at work, I viewed the gravely's cut as "mehh" but I've been told they have improved greatly. I do recall the machine feeling more heavy duty than scag/turf Tiger. My concern is that it will not leave a very nice cut on mornings with heavy dew, or if I get caught in the rain halfway thru a lawn. My accounts are .75-4 acre lots with rolling hills. I really don't want to double cut every time....

10. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly it's a good mower lays nice strip but it just struggles with wet grass. If you look under the deck you'll see why. Off your account size I would be leaning towards 61" though