2018 Exmark Lazer Z contaminated hydro, need help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mayhem69, Aug 12, 2019.

1. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

Hi, i have a 2018 Exmark lazer z with 350hrs. Today the hydro belt broke one me. I noticed the right side hydro was a milky color. I asssume water got in? I think it got in because the cap is screwed up. A few times when i turned to tighten, the threads didnt seat the right way. I had to back it out and turn in all the way.
    Anyway i may need a new hydro cap too.
    Not sure if i want to take to dealer or do myself. Im not sure about the contaminated hydro. Can i just drain and refill?
    The left side hydro oil looked good. So im assuming i can just change the oil filter and add to fill, correct?

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

You should drain the hydro/transaxle in addition to changing the filter.
    Run it a bit, maybe cut a yard or so, then change again.
    Oil/filter , while not cheap, is a hellova lot cheaper than a new unit, right ?
    Double check yer cap seal and vent tube.

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

You have an air leak with the cap not seating right. Ever time the oil heats up in that hydro, it expands. When it cools, it sucks air in, and with the hi humidity we have been getting in this area, it condenses in to the oil, hence that water in there.

Replace the cap, then do what @BigFish said.

Take your model number and serial number and go to the Exmark site and down load the Owner's and Parts manual. Changing the hydro oil is covered in the owner's manual. Easy enough to do.

4. OP
    OP
    mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

Well, im glad i took it in to the shop. They said there is something wrong with the transmission. i hope its covered, it has 80 hrrs over the 250hrs. for first change.