2018 Hustler Super Z HD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by puppypaws, Nov 10, 2017.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

There have been a few minor changes made to the 2018 Super Z HD. The front caster bearings have been changed to tapered bearings, and the claim is they are heavier duty bearings.

The fuel tanks are of a different design, a look I personally do not care for.

The rear bumper has changed to offer a heavy duty hitch (no photo).

I personally believe these changes are no more than a slight difference to make buyers believe the 3% increase in price is showing added value.

The heavier hitch may add a small amount of value to a number of specialized customers.

The change in their deck height adjustment may appeal to a certain group of customers, but their old design has worked extremely well for many years. The claim is their new deck height adjustment is fool-proof, along with being easier to raise and lower. The design does look nice, but to say there is added functionality, this will be decided by those that have experience with both the old, and the new.

I was also told the top of the deck is now built with thicker metal, another point of advertising added value to warrant the increase in cost. The Hustler Super Z deck has never lacked for strength in any area.

There is also a difference in deck hanger design, you notice there are no more chains, this may be the best change, but only time will tell. I've never seen, or had any problem from their old deck hanging design.

upload_2017-11-10_19-27-35.png

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. puppypaws

Not really changes that should warrant a 3% increase in price, but that is only my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  3. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

I agree...3% on a $13000 machine is a chunk for minimal changes....

Ridin' Green likes this.
  4. Mowin' deep

Mowin' deep LawnSite Member

picked up my new one last week, obviously haven't had a chance to test it fully yet, only reason I got it so early was the warranty deal they had going on, an extra year and an extra 100hrs if bought before Jan 28th, its for personal use so hopefully it last while!

IMG_2165.JPG

untitled67.png

hort101 likes this.
  5. puppypaws

You will find this to be a great mower, come back with your thoughts after a short period of seat time. I believe this is a 72" mower, which engine did you purchase?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Looks like Hustler has followed JD's lead and added a rear weight to bottom of the engine grill. They make good bumper/grill protectors.

weeze and sjessen like this.
  7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Those rear tires look small

8. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

Good Lookin' Machine! You will love the 37hp Vanguard EFI!!! Smooth as butta!!!

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Well, at least they did a few things to improve their mower. Some raise their prices with no improvements.

hort101, whiffyspark and Ridin' Green like this.
  10. Mowin' deep

Mowin' deep LawnSite Member

37efi, and yes its a 72....will report back after I put a few hours on it

so far so good, cranks right up and purrs like a kitten