2018 Tiger Cat 2 or 2015 Cheetah???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by CDlawncare23, Jan 13, 2019.

1. CDlawncare23

CDlawncare23 LawnSite Member

So here is the dilemma!!! I am looking to buy a new mower this season and I have found two options that I am leaning towards.
    Option 1- 2018 Tiger cat 2, brand new with 52in deck and 22hp Kawasaki. Pros- it has a 52 in deck which works better for smaller yards, it has the tiger eye system , its brand new, I would be the first owner and would have no questions about treatment, dealer is fantastic, should fit on current trailer, has weight adjusted suspension seat. Cons- It seems like it may be a little underpowered
    Option 2- 2015 demo unit scag cheetah with 61in deck and 35 hp vanguard. Pros- It has a bigger engine, it is faster, is still under warranty due to being a demo unit
    Cons- it has a larger deck than I prefer, it is three seasons old and had 331 hrs on it, it doesn't have tiger eye system, have no experience with dealer, and I do not how it has been treated being that it is a demo unit, it probably would not fit on my current trailer.

These mowers are coming in at the same price of 7500 + tax. Let me know your opinion!

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I just purchased a 2018 tiger cat 52inch deck 22 horse power, just a few dollars under 8k
    For me the 52 each deck you can cut any property, the 61s are kind a useless here In my area , I would go with the 52

Doc8406 and CDlawncare23 like this.
  3. CDlawncare23

Thanks for your input, that's kinda how I feel with the 61. So you like your tc2 so far??

4. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Bronze Member

i like the idea of the 52 as well

CDlawncare23 likes this.
  5. Fortay

Fortay LawnSite Member

If the larger mower doesn’t fit your trailer, the mowers aren’t the same price; you would need to add the price of the larger trailer to the cost of the 61” machine. I have a TigerCat 52 with the 22hp Kaw and it’s not underpowered. It cuts high stuff, wet stuff, and high and wet stuff. That Velocity deck performs as advertised.
    All that being said, I’m not convinced $7500 is a great price.

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

To be fair deck side can’t be a con for both units
    Either you want one deck size or the other , one of the machines would have the pro

The turf tiger is “long” compared to other machines
    It had the same frame for 52-72 so keep that in mind.
    I actually think it gives it a better overall ride and cut, but it could be a con in certain conditions.

Do you really need the tiger eye?
    Are you really going to use it?
    It’s really meant to monitor machines used by employees who don’t check oil or air filters
    Less handy for an owner operator who is running his own machine.

$7500 sounds like a steal for either machine

I’d buy the one from the dealer you have the best relationship with

But you can also tell each dealer about the other... maybe one of them drops the price to get you to buy theirs?

CDlawncare23 and Doc8406 like this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I bought a 23hp lazer z in 2001 for 6k
    That was a good price back then
    That was 18 years ago
    7500 for the same league machine now is very fair

CDlawncare23 likes this.
  8. CDlawncare23

You dont feel that 7500 is a good price for a brand new Tc2 ?