2020 Review for new guys from a new guy

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
after reading your initial post I had almost the same year doing this part time and working a regular 45hour work week.

WEATHER WEATHER WEATHER... wasn't too bad for me this year but one Friday that it pours out all day i had to reschedule my clients to Sunday and so on to get everyone serviced. I grossed around 16k and the end of the year with about 12 solid clients.

My buddy and my cousin said i should go full time with the business next year. I feel as though i could easily substitute my income at my current job ( I make 55000 a year) but no longer having PTO, sick days, health insurance i can afford, and my 401k scares me.

Ive been with my current company going on 6 years and like i stated income is one thing but those other factors are the ones that scare me going full time. Especially with health insurance being so high, then trying to figure what roth IRA i could open to transfer my 401k without being penialized, and continuing to save as by the time i retire there will no longer be social security!

OP
RVA-Outdoor Services

RVA-Outdoor Services

LawnSite Member
after reading your initial post I had almost the same year doing this part time and working a regular 45hour work week.

WEATHER WEATHER WEATHER... wasn't too bad for me this year but one Friday that it pours out all day i had to reschedule my clients to Sunday and so on to get everyone serviced. I grossed around 16k and the end of the year with about 12 solid clients.

My buddy and my cousin said i should go full time with the business next year. I feel as though i could easily substitute my income at my current job ( I make 55000 a year) but no longer having PTO, sick days, health insurance i can afford, and my 401k scares me.

Ive been with my current company going on 6 years and like i stated income is one thing but those other factors are the ones that scare me going full time. Especially with health insurance being so high, then trying to figure what roth IRA i could open to transfer my 401k without being penialized, and continuing to save as by the time i retire there will no longer be social security!

Yeah I've contemplated making this a closer to full time gig but I would have to cut back on other stuff which may be more profitable. If I could put guys on a route I would be interested for sure. As far as benefits well I've been self employed for about 10 years now so I'm not giving up anything as far as that's concerned. The weather really screwed me at the end of the summer. I started cutting a few here and there and then it just compounded. I had one lady adamant I cut regardless in the pouring rain. I tore her yard up which is what I explained would happen. I laughed pretty hard on the way home.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I would agree with your year in review as a part timer. I work a fulltime career in telecom utilities and have about 9 years until I can retire at ripe age of 52. I needed a new mower last year and was done spending money on box store mowers and bought a used 48" Scag belt drive. I decided to see if I could make a few bucks with it. I started with a couple friends. I could only work evenings and weekends which makes part time lawn care a bit harder. I got a Hustler Raptor from a friend with 30 hrs in exchange for 50 mows, so we figured through the 2021 season. All my stuff in had or paid cash for as time went on. I did some big mulch jobs that paid pretty well. This year I gained a few new clients. Found a guy my brother know that did some hustling and paid him to do a couple crap jobs for me that I did really well on. He finally flaked on me and I hooked up with another guy my brother knew. He did a few jobs for me that I did well on. Found a guy to sub a leaf cleanup to and made $150 on that. He treated me well and I will probably partner with him some next year. A buddy of mine I've subbed a couple big tree jobs too this year. Made a few bucks. But as a solo guy cutting grass on your off work hours, it can drain on you. We had a wet summer and only had maybe a 4 week slowdown mid June. So my last mow was first week or so of November.

I just moved onto a 1.5 acre property and need a new mower. The hustler hasn't held up good enough for the 125 hrs I've put on it. So I'm looking for something to start next year with, even if it is just for my home.

I only netted around 17K with what little I did this year. I'll probably look for more work to sub out next year to increase my sales, can't really add many more regular mow customers with my schedule.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I will add this, at least it was true to me. After I got back into this mow biz with a biz partner "mistake #1" we did I think really well after a few years. First few years sucked as I was used to making income X and now I was down to making a small small fraction of X... But at least I had a job. I took me the better of 10 years of constantly building my biz to net what you are getting from your current job. Once I started hiring workers my personal take home dropped significantly but that's what I wanted to do... Have a crew. I am only now, 13 years later, making more than I did at my previous job which was another company I owned. Making that first $20k is actually kinda easy IMHO. The next $20k is what is difficult. Then the next 20 even more difficult. Then the next 20 even more. I'm not at the next 20 yet LOL but maybe it'll be easier. But you got to want to be crazy enough to run this type of business.

Top Forums