2020 Turf Tiger 2 review

Cassidy Cuts

LawnSite Member
25DF2591-B818-4397-9E1D-871C7E9472B4.jpeg
B367CDD5-3044-4BDE-9C6D-D14B4CB15394.jpeg
9B5D062D-F0EF-429B-9051-390550E55433.jpeg
2B8CA986-64A9-4411-B9CD-AEE00A846850.jpeg
I have been demoing a lot of mowers lately and decided to post my thoughts on the 2020 Turf Tiger 2 61” with 37 efi. First off, I have never been on the old TT so I cant really compare it to that. However, I have been on/own hustlers, toros, exmarks, kubotas, and husqvarna ztrs. Also for the sake of not having a super long review, below is a list of positives and negatives.

Positives:
-2 inches shorter than last year’s TT2
-cut quality is amazing
-37 efi seems like it will never bog down in any condition this mower is supposed to be in
-26 inch rear tires make bumpy yards feel a little less bumpy compared to my mowers with the 24 inch rear tires
-having efi and no choke is awesome
-standard non-digital gas gauge is great. (many people would probably wonder why they dont have a digital gas gauge but from my experience, digital gas gauges always seem to stop being accurate after a few hundred hrs)
-the parking brake makes it easy to stop on hills
-the machine as a whole does not feel as big as it looks once your on it and driving

Negatives (some of these are barely a negative)
-26 inch tires will tear up the yard much easier than other ztrs i have been on
-very heavy, weighs over 1500 lbs
-while the 37 briggs efi seems to be efficient for it’s size, it is still very thirsty. I averaged somewhere around 1.9-2.3gph
-i know people always say more power is better, but if your cutting lawns weekly or every other week, 37 hp is an absolute overkill lol.

Changes for 2020 (probably more but these are all i noticed)
-2 inches shorter
-new seat

Final thoughts:
As many of you already know, this machine is obviously in the top group of best mowers you could own in this cutting width. I would absolutely love to have one even though the hp is totally unnecessary. When mowing a weekly lawn, this mower is like using a 70cc chainsaw to cut 1” diameter tree limbs hahaha. This thing is a tank and appears that it would last forever if a homeowner bought this and just used it for 5 acres a week. This mower seems like it’s best use would be for yards in the 2-5 acre range with minimal obstacles. I hope this review helps anyone who is on the fence about getting one.

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
That is a great looking mower, one I feel assured will give you excellent service in the years to come. The fuel usage is very high, I know several that are utilizing a 72" deck with that engine and have checked the fuel usage time and again in the 1.5 gph range.

OP
Cassidy Cuts

Cassidy Cuts

LawnSite Member
That is a great looking mower, one I feel assured will give you excellent service in the years to come. The fuel usage is very high, I know several that are utilizing a 72" deck with that engine and have checked the fuel usage time and again in the 1.5 gph range.

I am seriously considering getting a 72 inch. Do any of the people you know with the 72 regret going with that deck? We’ve been using 60” for 15 years and every few years I say I’m gonna get at least one 72 eventually, but I never pull the trigger

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
I am seriously considering getting a 72 inch. Do any of the people you know with the 72 regret going with that deck? We’ve been using 60” for 15 years and every few years I say I’m gonna get at least one 72 eventually, but I never pull the trigger

I personally mow large open areas and have not owned a mower with a deck of less than 66" in 15 years. I mow the largest part of my time with a 72" deck, once a person having large areas of grass cuts with a 72 it would be extremely difficult for that person to move back to a smaller deck, but this also depends entirely on the person's cutting situation. The only thing I cannot do with a 72" deck that one does with a 60" is mow between 2 trees 5 1/2' apart.

inline6boost

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the info. Can you take some pictures of the hand lever mechanism used for locking the parking brake? Based on the sales brochure from SCAG when the TT2 has the black caster weldments for the front wheels the park brake lever changes locations. The older orange caster wheel model the parking brake lever is out in front of the drive controls. The newer model with the black caster wheel weldments has the lever behind the drive controls. I'd like to see which one is the better design.

OP
Cassidy Cuts

Cassidy Cuts

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the info. Can you take some pictures of the hand lever mechanism used for locking the parking brake? Based on the sales brochure from SCAG when the TT2 has the black caster weldments for the front wheels the park brake lever changes locations. The older orange caster wheel model the parking brake lever is out in front of the drive controls. The newer model with the black caster wheel weldments has the lever behind the drive controls. I'd like to see which one is the better design.

I would definitely do that but I already returned the machine. I just had the demo for monday only. I did like the parking brake lever where it was located on the 2020 model though

K&L Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a 2019 TT2 61" with a Vanguard 37 EFI and I don't know how I lived all these years without it. The only issue is the weight, it's a tank because it is so well built. No corners were cut on this machine, it's quality from start to finish. I have two (2) Scags now (TT II and V Ride II 52") and I can't imagine owning anything else.

Now...Scag, if you're listening, make a competitive walkbehind and I'll give you more of my money.

OP
Cassidy Cuts

Cassidy Cuts

LawnSite Member
I personally mow large open areas and have not owned a mower with a deck of less than 66" in 15 years. I mow the largest part of my time with a 72" deck, once a person having large areas of grass cuts with a 72 it would be extremely difficult for that person to move back to a smaller deck, but this also depends entirely on the person's cutting situation. The only thing I cannot do with a 72" deck that one does with a 60" is mow between 2 trees 5 1/2' apart.

Does the 72 stripe as well as the 60s? I am a little afraid that the stripe will not be very defined for the portion of the deck that sticks out beyond the tires.

JeremyKuhn

LawnSite Senior Member
The main difference in the parking brake is the new one is to the left of the seat behind the sticks, the old style was opposite side of where the deck height adjuster is.

Shortening the machine is nice though, it would help fitting on my trailer at times, but I manage, after honestly in the spring I love the 37hp motor, yeah it may be a little thirstier than something smaller but I don't have to worry about all the weed and feed customers now.

Top Forums