2020 Turf Tiger 2 review

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
Does the 72 stripe as well as the 60s? I am a little afraid that the stripe will not be very defined for the portion of the deck that sticks out beyond the tires.

Give one a try in your area, grasses can react differently depending on your area of the country. The only true way of knowing how a deck performs in your area is to demo for a long enough period of time.

OP
Cassidy Cuts

Cassidy Cuts

LawnSite Member
Give one a try in your area, grasses can react differently depending on your area of the country. The only true way of knowing how a deck performs in your area is to demo for a long enough period of time.

I would definitely like to try a 72 out but none of the dealers near me have anything above 60 to demo. The only 72 ive demoed was a wright 72 zk dual wheel, but this did not solve my suspicion about the 72s not striping well outside of the wheels because it had two wheels on each side so the wheels were the same width as the deck. Can anyone with a 72 attest to the striping? Or possibly even post a pic of their 72 stripes?

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
I would definitely like to try a 72 out but none of the dealers near me have anything above 60 to demo. The only 72 ive demoed was a wright 72 zk dual wheel, but this did not solve my suspicion about the 72s not striping well outside of the wheels because it had two wheels on each side so the wheels were the same width as the deck. Can anyone with a 72 attest to the striping? Or possibly even post a pic of their 72 stripes?

Many mower production companies consider 72" decked mowers as "special builds," in other words many dealers are not allowed to keep a 72" mower in inventory unless they are classified as a high volume dealer. This makes it almost impossible to get a 72" demo unless the dealer is special to the manufacturer, and special means generating them a ton of profit.

You may not have a high volume dealer in your area, we have one that is 25 minutes away. This dealer sells so many mowers he is actually given 5 new top-of-the-line mowers yearly for demo purposes. These demos may be with a school that keeps the mower for a couple of weeks or more, allowing several operators to give their opinions concerning the positives and negatives associated with the mower.

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
I looks like they shaved some of the length off of the back of the mower. That was one of my gripes with the old Turf Tigers, rhe engine hung so far out back you had to be overly cautious going through ditches else the frame would drag...

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
View attachment 400753 View attachment 400750 View attachment 400751 View attachment 400752 I have been demoing a lot of mowers lately and decided to post my thoughts on the 2020 Turf Tiger 2 61” with 37 efi. First off, I have never been on the old TT so I cant really compare it to that. However, I have been on/own hustlers, toros, exmarks, kubotas, and husqvarna ztrs. Also for the sake of not having a super long review, below is a list of positives and negatives.

Positives:
-2 inches shorter than last year’s TT2
-cut quality is amazing
-37 efi seems like it will never bog down in any condition this mower is supposed to be in
-26 inch rear tires make bumpy yards feel a little less bumpy compared to my mowers with the 24 inch rear tires
-having efi and no choke is awesome
-standard non-digital gas gauge is great. (many people would probably wonder why they dont have a digital gas gauge but from my experience, digital gas gauges always seem to stop being accurate after a few hundred hrs)
-the parking brake makes it easy to stop on hills
-the machine as a whole does not feel as big as it looks once your on it and driving

Negatives (some of these are barely a negative)
-26 inch tires will tear up the yard much easier than other ztrs i have been on
-very heavy, weighs over 1500 lbs
-while the 37 briggs efi seems to be efficient for it’s size, it is still very thirsty. I averaged somewhere around 1.9-2.3gph
-i know people always say more power is better, but if your cutting lawns weekly or every other week, 37 hp is an absolute overkill lol.

Changes for 2020 (probably more but these are all i noticed)
-2 inches shorter
-new seat

Final thoughts:
As many of you already know, this machine is obviously in the top group of best mowers you could own in this cutting width. I would absolutely love to have one even though the hp is totally unnecessary. When mowing a weekly lawn, this mower is like using a 70cc chainsaw to cut 1” diameter tree limbs hahaha. This thing is a tank and appears that it would last forever if a homeowner bought this and just used it for 5 acres a week. This mower seems like it’s best use would be for yards in the 2-5 acre range with minimal obstacles. I hope this review helps anyone who is on the fence about getting one.

Do they still have the oil cooler between the seat and engine? What about deck drive, still a drive shaft under the mower?

Capt J-rod

LawnSite Senior Member
I own the 2019 version of this mower. I had a 72" on my Kubota before this unit. I prefer the 61" hands down over the 72. If your lawns are PERFECTLY flat then the 72" might shine, but the extra width was no bueno for contours. All the time you think you think you will pick up with the 72 goes away when you have to make two 1/2 passes to get a small contour. Next consider how far the wet clipping have to travel under the deck to exit the chute. As others have stated, maybe in different regions, but northern Ohio is not the place. Finally the ground speed will still out run the width. I also like the stripes with the same width as the tires. it just seems to really stand out. The overall length is a bonus, I still miss my grasshopper with the deck out front for poking under pine trees, but it was massive in the trailer and in the shop. The Briggs is an animal when it comes to power. I will confirm that she has a drinking problem with the fuel tab. My buddy runs a 925 Deere with the Kawasaki, and my scag can out run him any day. The Deere has been back to the dealer twice and he had to make the ride of shame and come get my scag. His next ride will be orange.

Top Forums