2022 Contract

GreenLawn51

LawnSite Member
Hi guys,

This year has been very busy and business has been good. The one thing I am realizing is that next year for any new clients I take on I want to have a written contract detailing the terms of service. As well as a card on file that will be auto charged within two weeks of invoice being e-mailed when they forget to pay.

Basically service will be weekly April 15 through Nov 1. I need access to the irrigation controller and I make the decisions with irrigation times etc. If the customer applies fert and/or weed and feed that's fine, but I will not loose/pause service on their over application/burning etc and charge for the scheduled service.

This season I haven't taken on too many new clients as my current ones are awesome. The new ones I have taken on have been very difficult.

What do you guys do when taking on a new client. I'm would like to get away from verbal agreements, printed estimates and would like to have something in writing I can go back on mid season when they decided to play with the controller, burn the lawn, can you mow every other week, etc.

Thanks for any input.

Chineau

LawnSite Senior Member
as much as possible put in to writing what you do and when, I know it is fluid dependent on a wack of variable but the more you write it, deliver and show them the more you can train them.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Hi guys,

This year has been very busy and business has been good. The one thing I am realizing is that next year for any new clients I take on I want to have a written contract detailing the terms of service. As well as a card on file that will be auto charged within two weeks of invoice being e-mailed when they forget to pay.

Basically service will be weekly April 15 through Nov 1. I need access to the irrigation controller and I make the decisions with irrigation times etc. If the customer applies fert and/or weed and feed that's fine, but I will not loose/pause service on their over application/burning etc and charge for the scheduled service.

This season I haven't taken on too many new clients as my current ones are awesome. The new ones I have taken on have been very difficult.

What do you guys do when taking on a new client. I'm would like to get away from verbal agreements, printed estimates and would like to have something in writing I can go back on mid season when they decided to play with the controller, burn the lawn, can you mow every other week, etc.

Thanks for any input.
"Credit card on file" is always debatable. Some guys here insist it, I would never do it. If a customer cannot remember to pay the bill, I simply drop the customer. Wanting a credit card on file is too intrusive in a sense imo.

While it is really good to have things in writing, you still need some flexibility to the terms. You cannot insist on mowing every week, unless it needs it every week. There are dry times where you should not cut every week. But yes, I agree, have the terms in writing.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
"Credit card on file" is always debatable. Some guys here insist it, I would never do it. If a customer cannot remember to pay the bill, I simply drop the customer. Wanting a credit card on file is too intrusive in a sense imo.

While it is really good to have things in writing, you still need some flexibility to the terms. You cannot insist on mowing every week, unless it needs it every week. There are dry times where you should not cut every week. But yes, I agree, have the terms in writing.

You can base your contract on the number of weekly mows in your season, and spell out that you will maintain a certain height. That covers the dry times that need skipped. With a contract, you can tally up all your services, and divide by the number of months you want to bill, either for the season or 12 months.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I started using hellosign dot com electronic agreements. Been wonderful. No paper forms to deal with. All digital. Digital signatures. You know when they open it and when they sign it as you get a copy back. Tried Docusign for about a week, difficult to work with, very limited plans and IMO it wasn't worth the $. Hellosign has been great. I've had one person that told me they did not have an email address, person in their late 50s. I'm not going to disagree with them but that's a rare thing these days if true. Hellosign is a Dropbox company FWIW

Steve

LawnSite Bronze Member
I started using hellosign dot com electronic agreements. Been wonderful. No paper forms to deal with. All digital. Digital signatures. You know when they open it and when they sign it as you get a copy back. Tried Docusign for about a week, difficult to work with, very limited plans and IMO it wasn't worth the $. Hellosign has been great. I've had one person that told me they did not have an email address, person in their late 50s. I'm not going to disagree with them but that's a rare thing these days if true. Hellosign is a Dropbox company FWIW
Any objection on letting me see what it looks like? I want to do agreement forms for 2022, just have 0 clue on how to go about it.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Pm me your email I'll send you one as if you were a customer so you can see how it works. I was chosen to help test the beta mobile app but I haven't downloaded it yet so I'll have to send it tomorrow. I've got not problem sharing it. Which one do you want to see? General spray agreement, mole/grubworm, vole agreement?

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
IMHO it by far blows DocuSign out of the water. And I used to use DocuSign before hellosign (a Dropbox company).

Wolfgang

LawnSite Member
Any objection on letting me see what it looks like? I want to do agreement forms for 2022, just have 0 clue on how to go about it.
No problem Steve but I live in a different part of the world and different rules and regulations apply here so other than layout most of the text would not be much use to you.

Top Forums