21 in WBM: Toro 21382 or Honda HRX217K6VKA

Manmich

LawnSite Member
Hello,

I am in the market for a new self-propelled walk behind 21 inch lawnmower. My current Toro Supercycler 20039 - I bought in 2002 - is on its last leg. I have 1/4 acre (mostly flat) to mow weekly.

Candidate Choices so far:
- Honda HRX217K6VKA or
- Toro Supercycler 21382 with Honda engine

I do not need electric start or blade stop or stow.
Emphasis is on performance/quality of cut (50% bagging & 50% mulching) and durability.

Based upon your experience -- what do you recommend and why.
Is Personal pace on Toro better than what Honda model has ?
Advice any other choice to consider?

Thanks

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
I like Toro SR21s a lot.
~ The Personal Pace drive system works well. I've had both the Briggs & the Honda engine. I 'think' the Briggs has a bit more grunt, but that Honda engine is so quiet, it gets the job done.
~ Oregon makes some aftermarket blades that I found very useful: a higher lift blade and a shredding/mulching blade.
~ If you are side-discharging, then the Toro really shines since the clippings come out of the right side as opposed to going through a chute to the left side.
~ Pretty sure your old SR (Super Recycler) only went up to 3" max cutting height. Now they go all the way up to 4.25". I personally like 3.75".

Hope this helps!

Sumner4Seasons

LawnSite Member
I have 3 217’s. 2 with the blade engage clutch one without. The one without never gets used. The blade engage clutch is wonderful. They all 3 mulch very very well. And if the grass is too thick or tall for 100% mulching you can select a position on the mulch/bag lever for either more mulching less bagging. Or more bagging less mulching. All of them start first pull expect after its been turned on it’s side for service. Then it’s a couple pulls. I just wish they’d make a 30”.

forgot to add. The only way to discharge is through the rear. Remove the bag and put the selector on bag. I rarely discharge clippings though.

OP
M

Manmich

LawnSite Member
Thanks everyone.

I purchased Toro SR 21382 today. i was tempted to go with Honda HRX217HYA. But then it was not available, and even if available - would have cost me higher price @ $749 - than $599 for Toro 21382. I also chose Toro for the Personal Pace I am used to since 2002 with Toro 20039 SR model I had till now. Toro 21382 has Honda engine. Thus thought it is a pretty good package at good price.

My plan is to mulch next weekend at 3.25 inch height.
I will post my comments in a month after 4-6 cuts.

Sumner4Seasons

LawnSite Member
Would go w/SR. The twin blades on the Honda turn our Spring growth to mushy clumps when mulching. The SR’s power right through.
What type of grass is clumping with your Honda’s? Mine will clump when if I’m cutting tall (7”-8”) and taking to big a bite. Since I’ve only don’t that once I can think of I never have clumping issues with wet fescue. This is from 9 am this morning. Lots of moisture this morning.

C15ACDD6-89B1-49B1-9DB1-947FFCE933D6.jpeg

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
The Toro will ALLWAYS outmulch the Honda. Flawed deck design, it's a designated bagger with a mulch lever. Narrow chute side for bagging velocity . Guess what , high velocity is great for carbs and airplanes, but low pressure and high speed in a confined small chamber means one thing . Dump!!!!!!!!

OP
M

Manmich

LawnSite Member
Hello All,
I purchased Toro SR 21382 on May 25, 2020. So far it has been great. Mulching my lawn 1-2 times per week @ 3.75 inch height. No issue. Attached are the current images of my lawn. Since July 01 - have used Milorganite, Menards Premium Grub Control, and Yard Mastery 8-1-8 XGN. Should I lower height to 3.5 inch ?
Front and back areas of lawn have rough grass coming up in many places - used to be all Kentuky blue grass. Should i just core aerate in fall and then overssed to address this? Additionally I am PO with people walking their dogs on long leashes and dogs on my lawn & pissing on lawn. Are other varieties of grasses more robust against dogs urine?

Thanks

Attachments