1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

21 inch commercial mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thelostbubba, Mar 24, 2005.

1. thelostbubba

thelostbubba LawnSite Member

what is the best commercial 21 inch w/b for the money? Which one is the best overall not considering the price

thanks

joe

2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

It depends what you want it for. If you need commercial quality, Toro or Honda are the ones - whatever you prefer.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

thelostbubba, I personally don't think its worth it to buy a "commercial" 21" mower, I'm sure some will disagree but we've been using a Husquvarna 21" and I guess its an upsacle homeowners model, (paid $479.00 for it) and the only difference between the two that I saw was the fuel tank was bigger on the commercial. Ours has the same engine, same blade, deck etc. so to me a bigger fuel tank is not worth another $200.00 or so. Plus for another 1k you can buy a 36" and get a heck of a lot more done. :blob3:

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I look at it this way, an Exmark 21" may cost you upwards of a grand. I can buy three realatively decent mid-range mowers for that price. Will I go through those mowers faster that I will wear out the Exmark? I will leave the conjecture as to that outcome up to others.

5. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Toro...commercial is worth it, trust me! I went through several homeowner models before I got smart and got a commercial.
    EHO

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have one 21" mower in my fleet. I am lucky to use that once a week. It is a homeowners model. I have had it for about 8 years now. No complaints!

If I was using a 21 mower more, then yes I would definetly get a commerical one

7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I went and looked at some stuff today. A Toro Proline 21 incher was $1100. I just can't justify the cost for the amount we use a 21. I did make the mistake of buying a cheap crapsman my first year and it didn't make it through the 1st year. Got a Snapper for like $400 last year, real tough mower.

8. MassLawnMan

MassLawnMan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Local supplier here is going out of business so I stopped by and found a 21" snapper 7.0 hp electric start for $550. Not a bad deal, and this area has tons of small lawns, should last me a few years i hope.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

This saved me some typing

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search for lots more opinions, But my $$$ would go to Toro/Exmark or Honda.. Supposedly, the new Honda 216 is supposed to be THE trick 21 now...