1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

21" push mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by creative concepts, Apr 20, 2002.

1. creative concepts

creative concepts LawnSite Member

I did a search and actually read about 150 of 230 or so results and still need some input. I am currently looking to purchase a new 21" mower. I don't want to spend over $700 for it as I only have 2 yards that i would need to use it on and the other yards I can use the bigger equipment. I was looking at the JD jx65 (I believe this is the model or it could be the jx75) with the option of side or rear discharge and the mulching optionfor $495. Is this a good machine and is this a good price? I was using a honda 3 speed until my worker sent it down a cliff yesterday. How does the JD compare to the Hondas? Any suggestions on a quality 21" mower would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Toro personal pace :D

3. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I will agree with Nelson. That's a GREAT mower (low cost)

4. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

hondas are the only way to go, i have 5 commercials and love them, you could pick up a masters series for around $600
    AK LAwn

5. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

John Deere its the way tyo go. i have 3 jx's numerous hours still run great

6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

JD is the way to go...
    I have the jx75, but it was $700, not $495. Are you sure you're not talking about the ja60 or ja62? Those are listed at around $500.

7. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

The toro personal pace is a very good mower for the money(about 545.00 on alamia.com) I've always used toro's but last week I purchased 2 new commercial lawnboys(made by toro) you get a lightweght mower, good commercial engine(6.5 hp 2 cycle) and a gallon gas tank to boot.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have always used the bbc 2 cycle commercial self propelled toro's they will run you some more dollars (895 ) but last and are like tanks. dave g

9. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

i don't know about your personal paces nelson and kdj, but i have had to replace or repair the drive cable probably 7 times over the past two years, the blade cable twice, the wheels twice, and the engine dosen't run very strong any more.

if you are going to spend 500 on a 21 you might as well spend a grand and get a toro proline, or around 700 for a commercial lawn-boy.

10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

lawnboy's fuel capacity is always a plus in my book