Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on your area. Would there be room to park and maneuver that size trailer at your customers' locations? If doing commercial accounts where there are large parking lots or other off-street areas to park the trailer it would probably be good. If doing residential customers in closely packed neighborhoods it could be a real problem.
Most of my clients have fairly easy access so parking wouldn't really be a problem. For the harder to access ones, like along busy streets, I already park the trailer and ride the mowers over to the property. I have a couple in tighter areas so may just end up using the 16ft for mowing and the longer one for the leaf setup in the fall. Just wanted to here y'all's thoughts before deciding

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of my clients have fairly easy access so parking wouldn't really be a problem. For the harder to access ones, like along busy streets, I already park the trailer and ride the mowers over to the property. I have a couple in tighter areas so may just end up using the 16ft for mowing and the longer one for the leaf setup in the fall. Just wanted to here y'all's thoughts before deciding
If I do go with a longer trailer, what kind of axles should I get. 7000lb or 10000lb combined?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For mowing equipment probably not, the equipment isn't heavy enough to warrant the cost, maintenance and complexity of a dove tail. I'm referring to power operated dovetails, not manual.
I don't know if I used the correct Terminology there, is a dovetail when the rear of the trailer slopes so the gate is lower to the ground?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you're going to do that, I'd recommend considering getting one with a front curbside gate as well as a rear gate. It's pretty common for guys with bigger trailers to have one to get the walk behinds off without having to unload the bigger machines.
Great idea, I was planning on putting a 6 ft wide or so gate on the passengers side like that. Probably would get a trailer that doesn't already have the side gate and have a fab guy put one on.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you guys ever seen a trailer like the one we’re discussing that has some sort of dump bed or dump insert kind of placed over the axles to balance the weight of the insert and not through off the tongue weight too much? Then have the front deck of the trailer accessible from the side gate and the rear deck from the back gate? So for a 7x22 trailer, have a 10x7 front deck, 6x8 dump over the wheels that dumps to the passenger side, and then a 6x7 rear deck with room for equipment? Is this plausible or impossible? I bag a good amount of grass so I could just throw it in the dump and could do the same thing for leaves.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Search combination dump trailer, there's a bunch of different configurations out there.
I did, just didn't see the exact one I'd like to build. No matter, I'm sure if it worked for those configurations, then it would probably be fine this way. Part of the reason I wanted a longer trailer: to haul two or even three mowers with the ability to transport debris

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Anyone else have experience with this size landscaping trailer that they would like to share? Would I be making a mistake investing in this large of a trailer? I know parking and accessibility to clients is probably the major factor here

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
12ft is manageable but sucks, 16ft is great for clean ups and 14ft is what I personally decided to stick with. 16ft is probably the right choice for most areas.
That's why I currently have a 16ft, mainly for cleanups, but I have found through this past season that I still need more room and still need to be able to haul two mowers

1 - 20 of 58 Posts