Lawn Care Forum banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
No. The trailer appears to have no issues at all whether its two or three mowers back there.

Remember, some of that weight is on the tongue. I usually put the 272 up front. With the wide 72" deck, it's just easier to be tied down to the front of the trailer instead of the sides. So I estimate about 1000 lbs on the tongue. So even when fully loaded, the axles are only carrying about 5500 lbs. together.
So technically a 7000 lbs tandem axle trailer can have 8000 lbs on it including the weight of the trailer if you account for about 1000 lbs worth of tongue weight? Wouldn't want to put that much weight on it too often though

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ran mowers for two years on an 18' 7k trailer and have sold it to go into a 20' 10k trailer. A change in tractor required a heavier trailer. I will go in January to get the new 10k trailer so I cant say what the differences are towing and handling wise. Spec sheet says it weighs about 700lbs more than my current trailer.

I dont think a 22' trailer is too long provided you need the space and your not operating in a heavily congested area. I think the question depends entirely on your needs and where you operate.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I ran mowers for two years on an 18' 7k trailer and have sold it to go into a 20' 10k trailer. A change in tractor required a heavier trailer. I will go in January to get the new 10k trailer so I cant say what the differences are towing and handling wise. Spec sheet says it weighs about 700lbs more than my current trailer.

I dont think a 22' trailer is too long provided you need the space and your not operating in a heavily congested area. I think the question depends entirely on your needs and where you operate.
Thanks for the feedback! How much does the 10k trailer weigh? 3k lbs?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! How much does the 10k trailer weigh? 3k lbs?
My 18' PJ books at 1800lbs.

I am going into a 20' 10k Lamar with HD ramp, dove, and some other bits and it books at just under 2500lbs. That is appealing to me thou because the PJ is honestly a bit light when you put a load on it.

Weights are all over the place, and each MFG typically posts approximate weights on websites.

I will say finding a trailer that is what I want has been a hot mess this year. A lot of mfgs are not taking custom orders and some have even stopped with utility types to focus on higher margin skid and dump trailers.

When I ordered the PJ it was a 6 week wait and I had exactly what I wanted at the time.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
So technically a 7000 lbs tandem axle trailer can have 8000 lbs on it including the weight of the trailer if you account for about 1000 lbs worth of tongue weight? Wouldn't want to put that much weight on it too often though
I guess technically that is true. But for liability and safety's sake, you have to see what the registration says it's rated for. If the manufacturer listed it as a 7000 lb GVWR trailer, you want to stay under that for liability reasons. My opinion is it's built to handle more than 7000 lbs but you don't want to exceed that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is incorrect. The rating is a combined or total weight. So if your 7k trailer weighs 1800lbs you have a capacity left of 5200lbs.

It is possible to add deduct some of the total load and apply it to the truck, but I dont know how you do that in practice without a load cell to measure. Did you apply 10% or 5%?

If you have a trailer and you are hitting the weight capacity (more than 50% of the time) you need a trailer with more capacity. Running at the rated capacity will shorten life and increase wear on consumables.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
This is incorrect. The rating is a combined or total weight. So if your 7k trailer weighs 1800lbs you have a capacity left of 5200lbs.

It is possible to add deduct some of the total load and apply it to the truck, but I dont know how you do that in practice without a load cell to measure. Did you apply 10% or 5%?

If you have a trailer and you are hitting the weight capacity (more than 50% of the time) you need a trailer with more capacity. Running at the rated capacity will shorten life and increase wear on consumables.
And the tongue weight is not a constant while under way. It changes as truck and trailer go over varying terrain.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

Thanks for clarifying that

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
And the tongue weight is not a constant while under way. It changes as truck and trailer go over varying terrain.
I just want to make sure a 5200lb hauling capacity (from quackaddict's example) would be enough to haul 2 or three mowers (2000 to 3000 lbs) plus whatever leaves I can fit in the "leaf box"

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Our old leaf removal trailer was 26ft tongue to end and there were times we were blocking multiple driveways at a time. Turning around in coves if just one person had parked in it rather than their drive was impossible. Had to reverse out of many. As much as I miss that trailer I like the shorter footprint of our current on. And our mow trailer is 16ft tandem with landscape cage so it's pretty easy to get around with it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Our old leaf removal trailer was 26ft tongue to end and there were times we were blocking multiple driveways at a time. Turning around in coves if just one person had parked in it rather than their drive was impossible. Had to reverse out of many. As much as I miss that trailer I like the shorter footprint of our current on. And our mow trailer is 16ft tandem with landscape cage so it's pretty easy to get around with it.
Already got the 16ft trailer and it's great for mowing with two mowers. Even if I got a larger trailer for certain routes/days I would probably still keep it for tighter areas, plus got a great deal on it

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
I (to the detriment of my leaf springs) keep my stander and zero on one side and the two small mowers on the other. It works best for us without having to play "musical mowers". Switched to heavy duty leaf springs as well as axles and has helped a lot.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Do you know the rough weight of 1 cu yard of Mulched leaves that have been chopped up by a debris loader? Trying to figure out how some people fit 25 yds in dump trailer setups when the trailer grossed out at 10k lbs and I've heard that 1 cu yd weighs about 400 lbs so that would be 10k lbs just in leaves? Thanks

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
W the price of gas and it will only go up … I’m not sure why anyone would purposely haul more weight and run bigger trucks. I didn’t read through …are you doing mostly larger properties? Imo these huge rigs are part of the reason a lot say you can’t make $ in mowing. Cost of gas adds up when you have a larger truck - mowers - trailer and tow more weight . Just IMO the future of mowing is running a lean operation and going back to basics.
like that huge trailer w the dump on the front is my “dream” trailer … but overall it would be a wasteful investment for my operation. I can get the same job done w a half ton truck - a 12 foot trailer and a little extra hard work Aka lifting a few tarps into truck bed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
W the price of gas and it will only go up … I'm not sure why anyone would purposely haul more weight and run bigger trucks. I didn't read through …are you doing mostly larger properties? Imo these huge rigs are part of the reason a lot say you can't make $ in mowing. Cost of gas adds up when you have a larger truck - mowers - trailer and tow more weight . Just IMO the future of mowing is running a lean operation and going back to basics.
like that huge trailer w the dump on the front is my "dream" trailer … but overall it would be a wasteful investment for my operation. I can get the same job done w a half ton truck - a 12 foot trailer and a little extra hard work Aka lifting a few tarps into truck bed.
I currently run a half ton tundra and 16ft trailer. I totally agree with you on wasting money on a unnecessary expensive rig, I'll see how next spring goes before making my decision. If I decide to get a bigger trailer just for cleanups and such, probably would make sense to downsize the mowing trailer or keep what I have :D when I was using a 6x10 with only one mower I got 2 mpg better than with my current setup

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
W the price of gas and it will only go up … I'm not sure why anyone would purposely haul more weight and run bigger trucks. I didn't read through …are you doing mostly larger properties? Imo these huge rigs are part of the reason a lot say you can't make $ in mowing. Cost of gas adds up when you have a larger truck - mowers - trailer and tow more weight . Just IMO the future of mowing is running a lean operation and going back to basics.
like that huge trailer w the dump on the front is my "dream" trailer … but overall it would be a wasteful investment for my operation. I can get the same job done w a half ton truck - a 12 foot trailer and a little extra hard work Aka lifting a few tarps into truck bed.
Roughly 30% of my lawns are on the larger side

61 - 80 of 109 Posts